Jeep Safari Tour of the Minoan Route by Land Rover in Crete
This Jeep Safari Tour is the ideal experience for travellers looking to understand more about the Greek and Minoan history in Crete.
Moreover, the tour goes through some unique areas in the island accessible only by 4WD where you will discover the local flora and fauna besides being introduced to the local Cretan life.
The day starts with a visit to the Aposelimi dam, completed in 2012 and providing water to the area that goes from Heraklion to Agios Nikolaous.
Then the Jeep Safari Tour goes deeper in the unexplored Crete, through olive groves and a unique landscape till the next stop of the Roman aqueduct of Lyttos.
There is also time for some Raki (a local spirit similar to the Italian Grappa) and Olive oil tasting at the picturesque village of Kastamonitsa where the local producer gives more information about the making
More off-road into the ancient Minoan Route and more tasting, this time the home-made cheese, well needed after the Raki.
The Jeep Safari Tour keeps going till the next stop at the Lassithi Plateau for an amazing viewpoint of the island.
The most historical site visited by the tour is, however, the Zeus Cave where the mythological father of all gods was born.
It’s a full-on tour with many things to do and places to visit and the lovely BBQ lunch is a great break for some relaxing time (they cater also for vegetarians).
Here is a big surprise. Wine is included in the price and although they generously offer as much as you like, I highly suggest to stop at the second glass (well maybe the third one) if you do not want to fall asleep on the jeep and miss out on the view
You can read also
- Top-rated places to visit in Crete [including some hidden gems]
- Where to stay in Crete (best areas and worst areas)
- Best itineraries of Crete, from 3 days to a 2 weeks stay (with maps and daily plans)
- Best Jeep Safaris in Crete – the top 5 in the island
- The Samaria Gorge Hike – All you need to know
- Elafonisi Beach – The practical Guide
The Jeep Safari Tour of the Minoan Route by Land Rover – In a nutshell
Location: Safari Club Crete, Parlama 22, 70007 Malia, Crete, Greece
Pick up Area: the tour picks up directly from the hotel, or the AirBnb, in the popular areas of Heraklion, Hersonissos, Malia, Sissi as well as Ammoudara, Kokkini Chani, Gouves, Analipsi, Anisaras, Koutaloufari+Piskopiano and Stalis.
Typical duration: The duration of the tour is approximately 8 hours. Pick up between 8:00 am and 08:45 am and drop off around 4:30-5 pm, based on the area of stay
Available Days: The tour runs every day except on Sunday
Languages spoken by the tour guides: The tours are available in English, German, French and Dutch
Available vehicle models: Landrover Defender for 8 customers + driver (due to COVID 19 restrictions 5 customers + driver ) and Mercedes Vito for 8 customers + driver (due to COVID 19 restrictions 5 customers + driver )
Off-road experience: This tour gives a mixed experience of on-road and off-road. The part running on dirt roads is, however, the most spectacular one, with an incredible view over the Lassithi Plateau.
Water/Lunch: The included lunch is so fresh and delicious, consisting of several traditional small dishes and a main, with options for vegetarian and children. Water is included as well as the local Cretan wine
Don’t forget: suncream, comfortable walking shoes, cameras, sunglasses, hat. Flip-flops are not suggested as the tour goes through a few walking areas with sharp stones.
Top 3 unmissable attractions in the tour:
- Aposelemi Dam and the sunken village of Sfendili. The dam was completed in 2014and water started pouring in as planned from the Dikti mountains and Lasithi Plateau, making it the biggest lake in Crete. Here you will be able to see also the submerged village of Sfendili, abandoned after the construction of the dam. A very unique experience that you really want to document with a few photos.
- Lyttos – Roman Aqueduct. The tour explores a part of the 22km long aqueduct built over 2,000 years ago, an incredible and unique project dated back to the Roman Empire.
- Dikteon Cave, the birthplace of Zeus according to mythology. A beautiful cave at an altitude of 1,025m with impressive stalactites and stalagmites everywhere. As you descend, you can see the many areas used in the past for worship, all well preserved.
Children friendly: Families with kids of any age are welcome to join this fun tour, however, people with physical disabilities and pregnant women are not eligible to participate due to the nature of the tour
The Jeep Safari Tour of the Minoan Route – How to contact
- Phone number (WhatsApp): +30 28970 32 666
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.safariclub.gr
- Price & Availability: Book your tour without worrying of sudden change. You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund