The best time to visit Mauritius
Predicting the weather nowadays must be one of the most challenging jobs.
In this updated guide to the best time to visit Mauritius, we provide a general idea on what to expect based on the month you are thinking to do your trip.
There is no more a natural pattern in the weather, however, you can use the information below as a good indication of what to expect.
Keep in mind that the weather changes not only based on the month you visit Mauritius but also based on the coast you are thinking to book your accommodation.
In this guide you will see
You can read also
- Where to stay in Mauritius – The Reference Guide
- The 12 best beaches to experience in Mauritius
- 43 Great photos of Mauritius
When is the best time to visit Mauritius
|Best time to visit Mauritius for honeymoon||February to March and May to June|
|Best time to visit Mauritius for sun||November to May|
|Best time for holiday||All year round (see the “best time of the year” below)|
|Best time for snorkelling||Late October to December|
|Best time for diving||Late October to December|
|Best time to visit Mauritius with family||April all the way to December|
|Cheapest time to go to Mauritius||Late October to December (for fun in the sun)
And January to April
- The best time to visit Mauritius for honeymoon is from February to March and May to June.
This is when the weather is sunny and lovely and there are no school holidays. You will hardly find any kid in the resorts.
February to March the east coast and the Le Morne areas offer the best honeymoon resorts with a very rare possibility of rain.
From May to June book your stay in the north, the area with the highest number of sunny days.
- The best time to visit Mauritius for holiday is pretty much any time of the year. It all depends on what kind of experience you are looking for and more importantly which part of the island you plan to stay at.
For example, July to August are pretty hot throughout the year but things can get unbearably windy and humid on the east coast.
Areas in the north and west coasts, on the other hand, have pretty stable and predictable weather and are nice to visit year-round.
- Best time for snorkelling and diving is anywhere between October and December and if you are on the North and West coasts then you can extend your scope to September.
These are by far the warmest months in the year where the sun is always out and the water is perfectly still.
There isn’t really more you would need to make your underwater exploration more perfect.
- Best time to visit Mauritius for sun is between November and May. This is when Mauritius has its summer and there is truly nothing else more beautiful than the island during these months.
As the season begins, the weather can get be really humid but gradually becomes drier and hotter as you move into January and February.
Whatever the case, it is still always a lot of fun especially if you are a huge fan of outdoor activities.
Best time of year to visit Mauritius
Generally, Mauritius has two major seasons.
These are summer which runs from November to April and winter from May to October.
For the most part, there isn’t really that much of a difference in temperature.
January and February tend to be the hottest months with average highs of about 30.4 degrees Celsius and 27 degrees in the water.
July, on the other hand, is the coldest month in the year with lows of up to 17 degrees Celsius, highs at 23 degrees Celsius and 24 degrees in the water.
Clearly, there isn’t too drastic of a difference which means that if you are in the right part of the island, you can have a great holiday all year round.
To put this into perspective here is more about each season and coast and what to expect from each.
Best season to visit Mauritius
- Summer in Mauritius (November to April): Summer is the most popular season in Mauritius as far as tourism is concerned.
The warm weather, cool breezes and beautiful waters draw sun-starved travellers from all over the world.
This is the time when, doesn’t matter which coast you choose, you will experience mostly sunny days.
During this season, you have your pick of activities form exploration on the mainland to fun in the sun on the beaches along the coast.
February and March can be quite wet however mostly with rain coming towards the end of the day.
- Autumn/Spring in Mauritius (May, October): Technically speaking, this is not exactly a distinct season and can be placed in the transition months of October and May for spring and autumn respectively.
These two months are widely hailed as the best months overall to visit the island as there are no extremes in terms of the conditions and accommodation is usually cheaper.
- Winter in Mauritius (June to September): Instead, with temperature lows in the late teens and mid-twenties, there is a lot of fun to be had both indoors and outdoors.
This includes visiting local attractions in which case the north-eastern coast including Port Louis is the best place to visit.
You could also have some water fun including diving, surfing and snorkelling on the west and south coasts.
You just have to pack a sturdy wetsuit for the chilly activities.
The South and East coasts can get pretty turbulent with seasonal winds coming in around these months. So it is best to stick to the North and West.
Best coast you visit in Mauritius
- Best time to visit Mauritius South Coast: If you are looking for real natural wild beauty then the south coast region is the best place to visit.
It has it all from breathtaking scenery to adventure packed sites.
The best time to enjoy all this is during the later summer months like March and April as well as early May just as winter is coming.
The sun is out but not too hot for you to enjoy exploring.
And you don’t have to worry about getting drenched while you hike one of the many awesome trails.
- Best time to visit Mauritius East Coast: The east coast gets a bad weather rep due to the frequent cyclones and gale winds.
However, if you plan your trip just right you will get to enjoy amazing water sport activities on their numerous beaches.
It could be speed boating at aux Cerfs, fishing at Roches Noires beach or even kite surfing at Bras d’Eau. The best time to visit the East Coast is between November and February.
- Best time to visit Mauritius North Coast: Mauritius’ north coast is home to the liveliest towns and cities on the island.
These are perfect for things like shopping, restaurant hopping and other indoor activities. As a result, it doesn’t really matter when you go. It is fun and beautiful all year round.
The weather in the north is usually sunny year-round. In fact, this is the coast where even in low season, in full winter (July and August) you will be very likely to experience sunny and warm days, up to 25-28 degrees Celsius.
Expect some tropical rain in February and March, but it will not last that long and it comes in the late afternoon.
- Best time to visit Mauritius West Coast: The West Coast is another weather heaven on the island that is beautiful most of the year-round.
The position protects it from turbulent winds from the east which means you don’t really have to plan your trip around cyclone season.
While on the West coast, there are numerous activities both in the water and on land for you to try out.
From water sports and shopping to visiting heritage sites, you will not have a dull moment. Just make sure to set aside some time to go swimming with the dolphins.
Best month to visit Mauritius
Every single month in Mauritius has something different to offer in terms of the weather and experiences. Here is a detailed description of each month and what you can do for fun as a visitor on the island.
- Mauritius weather in January: this is easily the hottest month in all of Mauritius and has maintained this status for as long as meteorology has been a thing in the country. Being at the very heart of summer also means that you get a lot of daylight hours and pure overhead sunshine. This is perfect for water sports, especially given the fact that the water maintains a comfortable mid-twenties temperature range.
- Mauritius weather in February: for the most part, Mauritius weather in February is pretty similar to what you get in January in terms of temperature and daylight hours. However, it stands out as one of the wettest months in the North, West and East coasts. So pack an umbrella if you are planning your valentine’s trip to the island. However you will be very likely to use it only for a short time and usually in the late afternoon.
- Mauritius weather in March: it tends to be hot and humid, especially around the Eastern region. Temperature highs on land and in the water are similar to those in January but tend to fluctuate a lot, especially when it rains. In general, it is a nice time to visit if you want some of that summer goodness but you will have to deal with a lot of bad hair days.
- Mauritius weather in April: this month brings summer to a close in Mauritius and the temperature drop is hard to miss. It doesn’t exactly get to the lows you will find during winter but it is a far cry from the sweltering heat of November to February. April in most parts of Mauritius also marks the beginning of the tapering end of the rainy season. There is still some rainfall especially on the east coast but for the most parts things remain calm, cool and dry.
- Mauritius weather in May: another transition month between summer and winter in Mauritius and is widely considered the island’s autumn month. This shows in the weather stats recorded. The temperatures fall at a midway spot between summer highs and winter lows with an average of around 25 degrees on air and 26 degrees in the water. Over on the east coast, this month also marks the beginning of the cyclone season. The winds are not very wild but the breeze is definitely more deliberate than anything you will have felt during summer.
- Mauritius weather in June: Temperatures steadily get lower around June as you work your way deeper into winter. The humidity and precipitation also change. However, the latter change is more regional with the east remaining wet and rainy while the north and west coasts experience drier weather.
- Mauritius weather in July: this is by far the coldest and for the most part driest month in Mauritius. The temperatures in the water are at their lowest, but still warm enough for a swim. July also happens to be the windiest month and is at the centre of the island’s hurricane and cyclone season on the East coast.
- Mauritius weather in August: the weather in August is more or less exactly the same as June. The temperatures are low, humidity is low and daylight hours are low with an average of around 7 hours of sunshine a day. Expect peaks of 23-24 degrees Celsius, possibly 1-2 degrees higher in the north
- Mauritius weather in September: for some reason, September is one of Mauritius’ most popular travel months. This has a lot to do with the ideal weather situation featuring the perfect combination of average humidity, warm air and water as well as refreshing breezes. This makes it perfect for both outdoor and indoor activities. However, given the weather’s unpredictability, you might want to carry a jacket or an umbrella when out and about in September.
- Mauritius weather in October: this is another transitional month and is unofficially the island’s spring month. Here, you get the best of both worlds in terms of weather with summer’s warm air and long days and winter’s cool breezes. It is also around this time that humidity is at its lowest. So if you want crisp clean air, great hair days and no extra umbrella luggage then you will love October.
- Mauritius weather in November: the first official month of summer in Mauritius and it shows on the thermometer. Temperatures take a dramatic turn with highs reaching 30 degrees Celsius. With the hot weather also comes a lot of humidity as well as a little rainfall every now and then.
- Mauritius weather in December: Mauritius lies around the Tropic of Capricorn which means December is when the sun is over the region. This makes the month not only one of the island’s hottest but also the one with the longest daylight hours. December is also very humid and marks the beginning of Mauritius’ unofficial rainy season.
Questions on the best time to visit Mauritius
- When is the peak season in Mauritius? Contrary to popular belief, the entire summer does not constitute the island’s peak season. There is a major tourist influx as early as September all the way to December with November being the real peak of the high season.
- What is the best month to go to Mauritius? The sunniest months are between December and March. Christmas and January is however also the busiest time to visit Mauritius. This time is very popular with people from Europe and South Africa.
- What are the hottest months in Mauritius? The summer months of December, January and February are the island’s hottest with air temperatures as high as 30 degrees Celsius and water temperatures of about 25-28 degrees Celsius.
- Is there a rainy season in Mauritius? It rains in Mauritius all year round in a rather unpredictable pattern. What is interesting is that it can be raining in one town or one coast and completely dry on the other. However, June to November stand out as the driest seasons (except on the east coast) although it is not uncommon for light showers to fall during this season.
- Is there cyclone in Mauritius? November to April is considered Mauritius’ cyclone season. Winds blowing in from the east can be as gentle as simple summer breezes or as severe as hurricane gales. For the most part, the occurrence of these storms is pretty unpredictable. However, there is a standing cyclone season warning to travellers during these months, especially on the East and South coasts.
- Which is the best side to stay in Mauritius? All factors considered; the west coast and North coasts are the best places to stay in Mauritius. They both have the best and most stable weather in addition to being away from the cyclone danger zones. They also have a wide variety of activities for visitors to enjoy both on and off the water.