Best Airbnb in Rome
I have lived in Rome for over 5 years and I have enjoyed this city so much. I have used a few apartments, in different areas and I have experienced the best, and not that best, of the capital.
These are some of the best Airbnb in Rome, apartments with unique features, incredible views, amazing balconies and location location location.
I kept notice of a few places I have stayed and others in my wishing list that I like to share in this post.
But let’s get started with it
You can read also
- Best areas and hotels to stay in Rome
- All you need to know if you have just one day in Rome
- Walking in Rome (3 great itineraries with maps)
- The complete guide to Tuscany with or without a car
- Where to stay in Naples (the top 7 areas)
- Best places to stay in Positano with a great view (budget or lux)
Best Airbnb in Rome – In a nutshell
I have already written a popular guide to the best areas to stay in Rome that you can read it here.
I have organised that guide based on the type of trip you are doing (family, couples, nightlife etc), besides your budget.
Here below a quick summary of it with the key points:
- Historic Centre: this is where most of the attractions are, from the Spanish Steps to the Colosseum, from the Trevi Fountain to the Pantheon. The Vatican is a separated country but virtually part of the Historic Centre.
- Trastevere: probably the most romantic part of the city. It used to be the poorest part, with tiny alleys, cobblestones, small squares. It is now such a characteristic part of Rome. Plenty of family-run restaurants, bars and late drinking places. Here you can do some amazing photos
- Prati & Borgo: two areas next to the Vatican, quiet and great for a stay with family and kids
- Monti: perfect if you want to stay close to the Colosseum and other old Roman temples, buildings and churches
- San Lorenzo and Testaccio: that is where the nightlife is, with a young university crowd in San Lorenzo. Testaccio is more for a dancing mood.
- Ostia: outside Rome, right on the coast, with a nice beach. It is much cheaper and also a good option for the hot months of the summer. Connected by direct train to the capital.
In this guide, I have linked the apartments to either Airbnb or Booking.com.
Both Airbnb and Booking websites have now the same apartments, however, Booking.com offers almost every time free cancellation, which is great peace of mind in this crazy and challenging world.
- Best Airbnb in Rome Trastevere: I personally love this area so much, however, there is no Metro station and buses are not that reliable due to the traffic along the Tiber River. Here you will find mostly boutique apartments, with a few very romantic ones, especially when they provide a rooftop terrace like the Garibaldi Rooftop Apt, such an amazing place to stay in Rome. Read other unique options here.
- Great Airbnb close to Rome Spanish Steps: This is one of the busiest places in Rome. So busy that you can’t sit anymore on the Spanish Steps. If you do it, the local police will ask you straight away to move on. My suggestion is to experience the Spanish Steps late at night or even better in the early morning. Having an Airbnb in the square, or nearby, will help of course. The Twenty Apt is amazingly positioned and so cute. Read more suggestions here.
- Awesome Airbnb in Rome near Colosseum: The Colosseum view is not an everyday experience. The Casa Ricci Marchetti apartment has one of the best, it almost looks like a fake one, but it’s actually real. Read more suggestions here.
- Airbnb close to the Vatican: being close to the Vatican not only allows you to visit this micro country with a short walk, but you are also close to the Historic Center (Navona Square, Pantheon) and not too far from Trastevere. The Cupoline is a great apartment with a lovely view to the San Pietro dome. More options in the area available here.
- Best Airbnb next to Rome Trevi Fountain: you can’t get a better view than from the Trevi Maison apartment. You could literally dive into the fountain from the window. Check out another 2 options below, including a budget one.
- Airbnb close to Rome Pantheon: located in a lovely square, the Pantheon may be not as popular as other Roman attractions and that comes to a big surprise because it is an amazing building with an incredible story. Palazzo Nari is a great place to stay, right next to the square. Read more options below.
- Best Airbnb in Rome with balcony: if you visit Rome from April to October try to get an accommodation with a balcony. The view is usually spectacular and you will enjoy the mild and warm weather with breakfast and dinner on the terrace, maybe even a rooftop. The Garibaldi Rooftop Apt in Trastevere is still one of my favourites but you can check below another 2 options in Navona Square that are hard to beat.
- Great Airbnb in the Monti neighbourhood: Monti is the best neighbourhood to stay if you want to be close to the Colosseum and the Roman Forums. It’s also well connected with 2 Metro stations, Cavour and Colosseo. A great place to stay is the Romance Al Colosseo, a great apartment. Check out below for more options, including an amazing value one with double balcony
- Airbnb close to the nightlife: The best neighbourhood to stay for nightlife is San Lorenzo. Being the University area, there is always a nice young vibe around. The Music RHome is right in the heart of it and it’s also one of the best value places in Rome I believe.
- Budget Airbnb options: one the cheapest options in Rome, as I mentioned in the Vatican section below, is Maelle, right between San Pietro Square and Trastevere. Another very cheap option is Chiara Rooms, which still offers a clean and adequate stay next to the main station.
- Very Cheap Airbnb, outside Rome: the Airbnbs outside the city of Rome can be a real bargain sometimes. An easy way to save and keep more money for travelling. My suggestion here is to book in Ostia, on the coast, especially if visiting in summer. It’s not a Caribbean beach, but still a good one with also a nice nightlife. There is also a direct train to Rome Centre which makes things so convenient. Check out either Appartamento Piazza Marzio or Rome on the sea, such a great value and so close to the Train Station. Ostia is also just a few km to the Airport making it very convenient in case you have an early flight.
- Best self-guided walks: I have organised 7 walks of Rome with maps that you can follow yourself, without the need of a guide. I have used a few of them into the itineraries below, based on the type of trip you have in mind (romantic, cultural, historic, etc)
- Unique experiences in Rome:
- one of the worst things about Rome is the gigantic queues at most of the iconic attractions. I highly suggest booking in advance a skip-the-ticket-line for the Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel, the Colosseum, Palatine & Forum, Saint Peter Basilica and the Castel Sant’Angelo
- try either a Romantic Night Tour by Classic Fiat 500 or a Self-Driven Sightseeing Tour by Vespa to feel like a real local.
- for the more energetic travellers, cycle along the Appia Way, one of the oldest roads in the world.
- do you have only one day in Rome? Check out my full guide including 3 options, maps for a walk and top restaurants to try out
Airbnb in Rome Trastevere
Garibaldi Rooftop (amazing rooftop & view)
This 60 square meters spot is designed to comfortably accommodate up to 4 people with its 2 bedrooms and two bath layout.
It’s a serviced apartment and you will get a fully equipped kitchen a washing machine and a flat-screen TV; talk about home away from home.
This beautifully decorated top floor apartment also offers amazing sweeping views from the rooftop terrace (see amazing photos here)
The AirBnB offers convenient access to numerous public transport options including the airport, the Roma Tiburtina metro station and a number of bus stops that run on fixed schedules.
When you get bored of staying indoors, you will have numerous attractions within walking distance from you the most famous being the Tiber Island with the Basilica di San Bartolomeo all’Isola.
You could also visit Vatican City which is less than 20 minutes walk away.
For a lovely meal go to the Impiccetta, very good value for money with a simple, however tasty local cuisine.
The Chakra Cafè is the place to be for happy hour with great cocktails and aperitivo drinks.
Check availability at Garibaldi
Alternatively, below are three other apartments, each with their own benefit.
Spectacular Luxury Flat Trastevere (big, up to 9 people)
This is a huge 220 square meters unit, with 2 well-sized bedrooms and a raised sleeping area including another 2 bedrooms.
It has a maximum bed capacity of 9 people which makes it ideal for large travelling parties or cost-sharing arrangements between two families.
It features beautiful décor with bright neutral tones and a ton of natural lighting.
It comes with free Wi-Fi, a well-equipped kitchen and a laundry space.
Home in Trast (when arriving by car)
Parking can be a nightmare to find in Trastevere. This 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment offers a solution with a few spots around the apartment.
Once booked, you may want however to contact the owner about suggestions on the best spot.
Private parking at an additional cost is also available in the area.
Once you leave your car, you can easily reach most of the area, including Vatican City, within walking distance.
In addition to the convenience, the apartment comes with an organised kitchen, a just-renovated bathroom and a TV, all with a very homely feeling
Trastevere Mini Apartment (value for money)
This unit is as small as functional with an open-plan concept.
It’s perfect for a romantic break away for couples, however, thanks to the mezzanine and sofabed, it can host an additional 2 kids, making it perfect for families on a budget.
The location is awesome, close to Rome’s most magical attractions like the Basilica of Our Lady in Trastevere.
In terms of amenities, you have a lot to look forward to including free Wi-Fi, a flat-screen TV, a well-equipped kitchen and a washing machine.
Airbnb in Rome Spanish Steps
Babuino 79 (great value for money)
Babuino 79 combines affordability with a value offering you luxurious accommodation without bleeding your travel budget dry.
You will have access to free Wi-Fi, a hot tub as well as a flat-screen TV with both satellite and cable channels.
It also stands out as it offers a safety deposit box and a soundproofing option. All this makes it ideal for both business and leisure trips.
The apartment is close to the Spagna Metro Station, the same Red Line that goes to Roma Termini, and from there to the Airport or to the next destination.
You could also take a short walk to one of the many attractions in the area including the iconic Spanish Steps as well as Palazzo Gabrielli Mignanelli.
Finally, make sure to set some time apart to visit the high-end roman cuisine restaurant at Alla Rampa.
To quell a sweet tooth craving on the other hand Quetzalcoatl Chocolatier would be the perfect foodie stopover for you.
The Twenty (cute and cosy)
Located in the very heart of Rome, this cute apartment is perfect whether you are travelling as a family, as a couple or even alone.
It has a capacity of 6 people and comes with a slew of amenities including free Wi-Fi, laundry space with supplies and ironing facilities and a well-equipped kitchen.
Airbnb in Rome near Colosseum
Casa Ricci Marchetti (Lux with view)
You can definitely notice the luxurious refurbishment across the whole house.
The coffee machine is perfect for both breakfast and an afternoon caffeine kick. WiFi is also complimentary.
Overall a great property of 110 square meters for up to 4 people.
The Colosseum Metro Station (Red Line) is just 200m from the building and the Termini Central station is only one stop from it.
Besides facing the Colosseum, you can easily walk to
- the Roman Forum, where you will walk between temples, buildings and streets over 2,000 years old
- the Basilica Santi Giovanni e Paolo, with the construction started in 362 AD to remember John and Paul martyrium, this is the oldest church in Rome and possibly one of the oldest in the world (remember to visit the underground)
- the Trajan’s Market, the ancient Roman form of a shopping centre, so well preserved. It’s mostly underground, therefore a great spot during a hot summer day 😉
Go to Bar Rossi for a real Italian coffee and cornetto (croissant). La Prezzemolina is the hidden spot for lunch, highly suggested and so close to the apartment. If you are after a drink head to the BrewDog Roma, a Scottish micro-brewery that offers also a few dishes. For dinner, you should not miss Cuoco & Camicia, one of the few real local food experiences still existing in the Historic Centre.
Check availability at Ricci Marchetti
Here below another two alternatives in the same area
Romance al Colosseo (amazing view)
This is another great apartment with an amazing view (see photos here), surely not as luxurious but at almost half the price of the previous AirBnb
It is a modern apartment that hosts up to 6 people, with free Wi-Fi and a great location of course
Restart Zingari (great value for money with balcony)
Another great place to stay very close to the Colosseum, hosting up to 4 people
The highlight here is really the balcony, actually 2 of them, wide and perfect for breakfast and dinner under the stars (see photos here)
It’s one of the cheapest in the area, however still offering all the amenities you expect from a more expensive place, such a great value for money.
Airbnb close to the Vatican
Le Cupoline (Big option – 3BR, 7 people)
This is the perfect option if you are travelling as a large group especially if it is a family trip.
With 3 bedrooms, one of which has 3 single beds, you can fit as many as 7 people comfortably and with some privacy.
Among the amenities, you have to look forward to, are free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, soundproofing, a well-equipped kitchen and a laundry space too.
For the most part, you will either be walking to the many attractions around the most iconic of which is the Vatican.
There are also several underrated gems in the area including the National Museum of Castel Sant’Angelo and the Roman Supreme Court.
In terms of restaurants, Ristorante Dei Musei is one of the most popular around and is best known for serving large portions and awesome desserts.
Another spot worth checking out in the area is Da Pasquale sandwich and pizza shop which is a short walk away from the apartment.
Check availability at Le Cupoline
Vespasiano (modern and functional)
Staying close to the Vatican is a whole other experience both in terms of convenience and the views you will get.
These perks are what await you at the Vespasiano.
This sleek and modern apartment stands out from its historical surroundings and offers a lot from air conditioning to free Wi-Fi.
The closest metro station to the apartment is Ottaviano (same Red Line as the Central Station Termini) with trams running to different parts of the city every 10 to 30 minutes depending on your destination.
Check availability at Vespasiano
Maelle (great value for money)
If you are planning a budget trip then this unit is one of the best options for you in this area.
The location is fantastic, right between Trastevere and Vatican City, making it a short walk from both.
You will kill two birds with one stone.
You get the best of sightseeing during the day in the Vatican City area and you get to enjoy the lovely Trastevere at night for dinner.
Airbnb next to Rome Trevi Fountain
Trevi Luxury Maison (the unique view)
This option is breathtaking both inside and out.
Located right next to the Trevi Fountain, the beautifully decorated apartment offers the perfect combination of luxury and comfort.
It comes with a variety of amenities including free Wi-Fi, air conditioning and heating as well as well-furnished and equipped functional spaces.
The closest public transportation system is the Tritone/Fontana bus stop. There are numerous bus lines running to different parts of Rome all day long.
In addition to the Trevi Fountain, this Airbnb offers easy access to many other attractions including the Pantheon monument and the iconic Quirinal Palace, the Presidential residence.
For food, you have numerous options but none as interesting as Piccolo Buco known for serving some of the tastiest and best presented artisanal pizzas.
Chianti Vineria is another spot if you are in the mood for some wine or cocktails with or after your gourmet dinner.
Check availability at Trevi Maison
Amore su Trevi (value for money)
Given the fountain’s popularity, staying close to it might be a little expensive.
However, options like the Amore su Trevi allow you to enjoy the convenience and the awesome views at great prices, just two steps away from the door.
This unit comes with free Wi-Fi and a well-equipped kitchen, although on a small size.
Airbnb close to Rome Pantheon
Pantheon Palazzo Nari (location and size)
The apartment is located in the historic Palazzo Nari, one of the most beautiful in the area, a short walk away from the major attractions and in one of the most beautiful parts of Rome.
The best part is that you get just as much beauty and wonder outside as you do inside the apartment with the unique minimalistic earthy décor.
The very spacious unit (4 bedrooms) comes with free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, a furnished living area and dining space, a well-equipped kitchen as well as a washing machine for that mid-vacation laundry.
And the best part is that should you have any questions or concerns the friendly owner is always on call ready to help.
For the most part, given the apartment’s central location you will probably be walking to most of the attractions around.
However, if you want a trip further out into the city or out of the city then the walk a few meters to the Rinascimento Bus Stop, where you will find multiple options of which Bus #30 runs straight to the Central Station Termini.
Given its location, you will be conveniently close to a variety of attractions including:
- Museo dell’Ara Pacis, a famous archaeological museum known to have one of the few surviving ancient Roman alters.
- Museo Nazionale Romano (Palazzo Altemps), home to some of the finest Renaissance artworks
The AirBnB also puts you in close proximity to some pretty awesome cafes and restaurants including Sant’Eustachio which is a popular café known for their one of a kind brews made with water from an ancient aqueduct.
You should also try out Da Fortunato for a high-end gourmet experience with authentic traditional Italian cuisine.
Pantheon Luxury House (value for money)
This 75 square meter unit has 2 bedrooms and it can host up to 5 people
It’s an amazing value for money accommodation, with well-sized rooms and a great host, always available.
The unit comes with free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, heating and a flat-screen TV.
Best Airbnb in Rome with balcony
I already talked about how beautiful is the Garibaldi Rooftop.
This apartment has an incredible terrace, probably my favourite in the old part of the city, next to the Tiber River.
Here below another two options in the Historic Centre and next to the Piazza Navona area, another picturesque part of the city.
This beautiful 250 square meter apartment is nestled in one of Rome’s most picturesque neighbourhoods.
This equally charming apartment has a capacity of up to 15 people and 6 bedrooms, perfect for a big group or a multi-family trip where you can share the cost and the amazing view, unique in Rome and the world (see photos here).
It comes with free Wi-Fi, air-condition, heating, a terrace with amazing views as well as a TV. It also comes with a well-equipped living space, kitchen and laundry area.
The apartment is a 5 minutes walk to the Rinascimento Bus Stop, with many bus options of which #30 that goes directly to the Central Station Termini.
Staying in this AirBnB will put you in the heart of all this action and beauty with its walking distance convenience to some of Rome’s most iconic attractions including the Pantheon and Piazza Navona which is great for shopping and just exploring.
It is also close to numerous iconic churches including St. Maria Sopra Minerva Basilica and Basilica Di Sant Eustachio.
When it comes to eateries, the Abbey Theatre Irish Pub is an easy favourite visitors with amazing food, a wide variety of drinks and live music.
If you are in the mood for some pizza then Corallo is the spot for you with the best part being that they are open until 12:30 am.
Check availability at the Presidential
The Airbnb below is one of the best value in Rome
Located close to the scenic Navona square, this apartment delivers impressively when it comes to breathtaking views.
And with the furnished terrace, it is safe to say that you will have a lot of magical mornings and evenings to look forward to.
The 1 bedroom 1 bath unit comes with a sofa bed for extra accommodation and free Wi-Fi. The best part is that you get to enjoy all this at very friendly prices.
Rome Airbnb vs Hotel
It’s a different kind of choice. I don’t personally think one is better than the other.
Rome Airbnb vs Hotel is like saying Pasta vs Pizza (just to stay in Italy). It’s down to personal choice.
I love Airbnb because in most cases you can find unique homes (which is more than just accommodations).
Hotels, however, are more practical, especially on a short stay.
You can check-in without problems late at night, in most cases you can leave your bag to pick it up later, and in case of any issue, the concierge is always there helping you.
Another suggestion I give is to book asap, especially if you can cancel later for free. Rome is a popular destination
Every time I travel, I usually book all the accommodations that I come across and I like.
At the end of my selection, I cancel all except the best. In this way, I do not get disappointed that someone else gets it in the meantime (and it happened).
That’s why I prefer the Booking.com platform over the AirBnb one.
Go back using the below menu
- 1 Best Airbnb in Rome – In a nutshell
- 2 Airbnb in Rome Trastevere
- 3 Airbnb in Rome Spanish Steps
- 4 Airbnb in Rome near Colosseum
- 5 Airbnb close to the Vatican
- 6 Airbnb next to Rome Trevi Fountain
- 7 Airbnb close to Rome Pantheon
- 8 Best Airbnb in Rome with balcony
- 9 Rome Airbnb vs Hotel
3 thoughts on “Best Airbnb in Rome [TOP neighbourhoods]”