Where to stay in Menorca
Menorca may not be as famous as the other Balearic Islands however it delivers big time in natural wonders and amazing beaches.
The island, however, is not as small as you may think. There are many towns, villages and resort areas catering for a different kind of traveller
In this guide, I will give you a good understanding of where to stay in Menorca based on your type of holiday: with family and kids, as a couple or just looking for some nightlife (and so much more).
And the best is that it’s all just been updated (no closed restaurants or hotels in real need of refurbishment)
Now, without further ado, let’s get into the best areas to stay in Menorca.
You can read also
- The best Spanish Islands [for your type of holiday, with a map]
- The Ultimate Guide to the best areas to stay in Mallorca
- Where to stay in Ibiza to party or relax with your partner or family
- Best areas for a beach stay in Formentera
Where to stay in Menorca for families, couples or nightlife – in a nutshell
Here below a few important and quick points that will help you to understand how to choose the best place to stay in Menorca based on your type of holiday.
However, I suggest that you keep reading for more tips and suggestions on all the mentioned area.
- Where to stay in Menorca for families: if you are travelling with grown-up kids then Son Bou is a great option. It’s a popular place, with a 4km beach, well connected by public transportation and with a waterpark that will be the highlight of the holiday for your kids. The alternative is Punta Prima, located in the southern part of the island. It is much quieter and with a small and shallow beach, the perfect location if you have small children. Read more below on a family stay
- Best place to stay in Menorca for couples: one of the options is Cala Galdana because it has really everything you would expect from Menorca: a lovely beach, shopping, restaurants, bars for some late drinks and a good choice of accommodations. If you are after a more romantic and relaxed time then Binibecca can be the best spot for you. Try to book your accommodation in the fishing village area, a maze of whitewashed houses and small lanes where you can get easily lost between a few drinks and some tapas :). Read more below for a stay with your partner
- Best place to stay in Menorca for nightlife: Ciutadella is without any doubt the most charming and liveliest town on the island. You will have plenty of nightlife choice (by Menorca standard) and a good selection of beaches to visit during the day. Another nice town for nightlife is Cala en Porter which besides a nice wide beach has also a few drinking holes and probably the most famous nightclub on the island. Read more below on Menorca nightlife
- Best area to stay in Menorca for walking: the small village of Saint Thomas is a great destination for everyone looking for some hiking, besides having a nice beach to spend some time during the hottest part of the day. Here you will find also access to the Camí de Cavalls, a 186km ancient walking route built originally in the 15th century. The Hotel Santo Tomás is one of the best accommodation in town with an amazing view of the whole bay (see photos here).
- Best place to stay in Menorca for beaches: as usual, this is a hard choice to take. There are so many beautiful beaches!! However, Cala Galdana, located in a repaired half-moon bay, has something exceptional. A combination of everything: the turquoise water, the fine white sand beach, a wide choice of shopping, restaurants and bars, a relaxed vibe and a good number of accommodation options.
- Best area to stay without a car: the perfect choice would be Mahón, the capital of the island, next to the airport, located in a very convenient position. This is a great base if you are thinking to visit the island on a daily basis with public transportation. Mahón is the hub of the bus network. You will also have a few beaches, at walking distance, and a decent night scene. The Hostal Jume is a great value accommodation right in the heart of town (see photos here)
- Where to stay with a baby: if you are looking for a quiet place then Arenal d’en Castell may be the perfect destination for you. Located right in the relaxed north, you will find a nice wide shallow beach, perfect for babies and toddlers with a good choice of restaurants. You will have one of the most peaceful nights in Spain. The Arco Iris Apartments are a real bargain in the perfect location (see photos here)
- Best quiet place to stay in Menorca: there are many quiet locations in Menorca, especially if compared with Mallorca or the famous Ibiza. Cala Santandria is a good example, very quiet and relaxed, however, it’s also close to Ciutadella, in case you want to have a crazy night out. You have the choice, you can add some chilly to your stay, but only if you fancy so, which is perfect I think. The Hotel Unique is an adults-only hotel right in front of the beach with an amazing view of the small bay (see photos here)
- Most charming town: there are a few around the island, however, Fornells up in the north has still that fishing village feels, with some of the best seafood restaurants in Menorca. And for some beach time, you can go to the beautiful Platges de Fornells, about 1-2km from the town. The Hostal s’Algaret is a well priced simple and clean hotel right in the centre of the village.
- Where to stay in Menorca in September: this can be still a nice and warm month, especially if you visit it in the first 2 weeks of the month. In the last 2 weeks, usually, the weather tends to change with a few possible cloudy days and storms. There are not as many tourists around which may be just what you are looking for and in this respect, it may be considered the best month to stay in Menorca. Ciutadella can be a good choice if you prefer to stay in a lively place. Binibecca can be the alternative if you are after a more relaxing stay, with nice restaurants options and a few of the most beautiful beaches/coves.
- Best place to stay in Summer: this is the busiest time of the year. It does not get crazy till mid-July, after that it gets very hectic everywhere. Cala Galdana is a good compromise place from mid-July to the end of August. If your holiday is in peak season then remember to book well in advance.
- Best area to stay in Winter: in this season there is no tourism, just the locals. Most of the hotels and resorts are closed. The best places to stay are Ciutadella and Mahón.
- Best Tours and activities: Once in Menorca you should explore more of the island coastline that you can partially see and access from land. Both the north and south coast are truly magnificent. This 3.5-hour boat trip will take you to some hidden and secret coves of the South. Meanwhile, this luxury boat will take you to the north coast, providing also some local appetizers too. If you are looking for a more active adventure then you should join this Half-Day Kayak Excursion to visit hidden caves and grottos
The great thing about these tours is that they have a free cancellation policy (up to 24 hours before the activity starts). You can plan in advance without worries in case you change your mind 🙂
Where to stay in Menorca for families
There are a few great areas in Menorca that work for families,
In saying that, two of them stand out for the amazing beaches and activities for kids
Son Bou (with grown-up kids)
Son Bou is a resort town ideal if you want a holiday centred on water-sports and beach fun.
It has a nice 4km long beach with crystal blue shallow waters where you can do everything from kayaking to snorkelling.
You could also spend some time at the mini water park at the Royal Son Bou Family Club.
This would particularly be fun if you have kids in their toddler and early teen years, and the older ones will definitely enjoy the hotel’s massive pool.
The restaurant scene in the area is also definitely worth noting when it comes to planning the perfect family trip.
Restaurante Atalis is a popular option for families with grown-up kids. They have the perfect combination of classics like burgers and unique gourmet creations for the more adventurous kids.
Another great option for family dinners or lunch dates would be Es Corb Mari. In addition to the eclectic menu, you and your family will get to enjoy one of the most breathtaking views of the Mediterranean sea.
Here are 2 accommodations you could stay with kids that will put you close to all the action but still have a quiet night.
Royal Son Bou Family Club would be great to visit for the water park but why not just make it your full-time base of operation.
That way the awesome pool amenities are conveniently close to you.
The hotel also offers beautiful family rooms (see photos here), beachfront access and amenities like a fitness centre.
Suites Las Vistas is another option worth considering especially if you want the independence of a holiday apartment type of stay.
This beautiful 2 bedroom unit offers great views of the water (see photos here).
The older kids will also definitely enjoy free Wi-Fi and breakfast.
Punta Prima (with small kids)
Punta Prima is a picturesque southeastern area of Menorca that works particularly well for families with small children due to the abundance of kid-friendly activities for them to try out.
You could take your little ones to the Parc Infantile playground. There are all sorts of swings and slides for them to enjoy and spend some time.
If you want to make awesome memories together then take a trip around town on the Ting Ting Road Train. Just being in the colourful train will have the kids excited out of their minds while you get to learn something about the town. Win-win.
Punta Prima Beach is also a perfect place for some laid back time. The water is clear and shallow and this makes it perfect for the little ones to have lots of fun.
When it comes to eating out while in Punta Prima as a family, El Faro de Punta Prima is a great option. They serve everything from seafood for the adults to pizza for the kids.
Casa Santi is another great option for family meals out if you are travelling in a group. They serve great local food in a fun family-friendly setting.
As far as ideal family-friendly accommodations are concerned, the beautiful Isla del Aire Apartments are the best option.
The place has an airy tropical vibe that will definitely complement your holiday mood.
Your kids also have a lot to look forward to, including a pool and a garden (see photos here) where they can play.
Best place to stay in Menorca for couples
Menorca is probably the most romantic island of the Balearic Archipelago.
It doesn’t have any crazy young nightlife that will not let you sleep in the night.
It’s more about nature, beaches and the Spanish way of living, in the “mañana” way (a Spanish way to say tomorrow, in a way that it’s better to postpone and relax today 🙂 )
There are two towns that work probably better for couples
Binibecca (for a romantic stay)
Binibecca is by far one of the most underrated destinations in Menorca.
The beautiful little fishing town has a lot to offer in terms of attractions including Cala Binibecca Beach and the beautiful whitewashed buildings.
Despite having so much to offer, it has maintained a very low key and isolated vibe as a lot of people choose to only have it as a one day stop.
Therefore, you and your beau will have the town to yourselves to explore and make beautiful memories in.
While here, make sure to have lunch or a night out at Restaurante en Binibeca for the fantastic seafood and the great cocktails.
Pierre & Vacances is a great place to stay in the fishing village if you want some isolation and romance.
The beautiful hotel features unique architecture (see photos here) and great décor to complement the Balearic vibe.
The best part is that it is an adults-only hotel which is perfect for couples.
Cala Galdana (if you still want everything around you)
Cala Galdana is the perfect place to stay in Menorca if you and your partner do not want to be too far away from the action.
You could also simply choose to spend your day doing some shopping as you explore the beautiful town together.
The main beach is located in a beautiful calm bay with turquoise water all around and a lovely relaxed vibe.
Walk down to Cala Mitjana for one of the best coves in Menorca (it can be popular in July and August). There are no bars or restaurants, take food and drinks with you.
While on these chill escapades, make sure to visit Restaurante la Cala for a bite to eat, a quaint little space that works both at lunch and dinner time.
If you want somewhere less formal for a cocktail or two for the night then Chiringuito Toni is the perfect spot. They also serve amazing desserts if you are in the mood to satisfy your sweet tooth.
It is set on a hill and offers privacy while still having you walking distance to the beach and the main town centre and all its attractions.
Best place to stay in Menorca for nightlife
We already said that Menorca is quieter than Mallorca and Ibiza.
However, you can still find some nightlife, for any age. Not only nightclubs but also a few cool late-night drinking places.
Ciutadella (the liveliest place in Menorca)
While Menorca does not feature on the list of wild party islands in the region, it still has a lot to offer the night owl on holiday.
Ciutadella is the best town to stay in as it is easily the liveliest and most charming option you will have on the island.
No, you will not find an array of night clubs for party hopping the night away at (like in Ibiza or Mallorca).
However, there are several late-night restaurants including PINS 46 that could offer you a great plan for the night. They have an amazing Mediterranean menu with a great wine list for a truly fun evening.
You could also grab a nice nightcap at The Blarney Stone gastropub. This place serves some of the best cocktails not only in the town but possibly on the island. If you really want a fun night then this is the best place to get things started before you go off on your other escapades.
Where Ciutadella lacks in the number of clubs it more than makes up with the energy that you will find in the few options.
Jazzbah is a great representation of this and is one of the best night clubs in the area. With the big dance floor, great music and never-ending drinks you will definitely be in for a night to remember.
One of the best places to stay in Ciutadella is Hotel Nou Sant Antoni, close to the party area but still offering a quiet sleep
This beautiful hotel (see photos here) is perfect as it puts you in the heart of all the action with its proximity to the main town centre.
And I forgot to say that it’s also a great value for money.
Cala en Porter (for best nightclub on the island)
Cala en Porter is not as lively as Cuitadella. However, this is not to say that it has nothing to offer as far as an active night scene is concerned.
What is unique about this town is the fact that the wild night scene is carried on the back of one club: Cueva d’en Xoro.
This is not the only night club in the area but it is definitely the best.
There is something truly magical about sipping your craft cocktails on a bar carved out of a cliff as you enjoy the beautiful ocean views.
The great music also helps guarantee you a night you will not forget any time soon.
In addition to the iconic night club, you have the options of somewhere low key like the Bar Cocteleria Aloha. This popular watering hole is a great place to spend the night sipping cocktails from fun cups while interacting with the locals.
When it comes to accommodations, the Hotel Playa Azul is a great place for enjoying the night scene.
The rooms are spacious and clean, with a great view of the pool and the coast (see photos here)
Breakfast is included, however, I would suggest going for the all-inclusive package as food and drinks are more than worth the extra price
The building and the interior may be not that contemporary but it comes at probably the lowest price in Menorca.
Go back using the below menu
- 1 Where to stay in Menorca for families, couples or nightlife – in a nutshell
- 2 Where to stay in Menorca for families
- 3 Best place to stay in Menorca for couples
- 4 Best place to stay in Menorca for nightlife