Where to stay in Mallorca
Picking the best place to stay in Mallorca can take some time if you are not familiar with the island.
The island is quite big and every town/area caters to a different type of holiday and you will be spoilt by the choice
This guide will help you to decide where to stay in Mallorca based on your kind of trip. This can be an easy time with family and kids, a romantic getaway with your partner, a crazy nightlife journey, or an active stay with cycling and walking.
Without further ado, let’s get straight into the best areas
You can read also
- The best Spanish Islands [for your type of holiday, with a map]
- The Ultimate Guide to the best areas to stay in Menorca
- Where to stay in Ibiza to party or relax with your partner or family
- Best areas for a beach stay in Formentera
Where to stay in Mallorca for families, nightlife, couples – in a nutshell
Here below a few quick points that can be really useful if you are in a rush.
However, I suggest that you keep reading for more info and tips for every specific area and type of trip
- Where to stay in Mallorca for families: a very popular area is Santa Ponsa because of its very wide and shallow beach, located in a bay protected from the open water, fantastic for small children. Another great spot is Port of Pollensa in the north-east. It works probably better if you have older children, because of the many water sports possibilities and a bit of a relaxed night scene. Read more below about a family stay
- Where to stay in Mallorca for nightlife: the are two possibilities, the first one is to stay in Palma de Mallorca (the main town), with more character and charm, especially for more mature age. The second possibility is to stay in Playa de Palma (famous with Germans) or Magaluf (famous with British), very popular with “guiris”, a Spanish word for foreigners looking for partying and drinking on a budget. Read more about a nightlife stay.
- Best places to stay in Mallorca for the beach: it’s always hard to suggest just one place, it can be so subjective. Cala Millor has a bit of everything, a gorgeous idyllic long beach, bars and restaurants, a cosy environment for any age and a tiny bit of nightlife, however, nothing like the previously mentioned locations. Read more on Cala Millor
- Best places to stay in Mallorca for couples: if you are after a secluded and romantic place then Port de Soller on the east coast may be your final destination. It’s a small town with a tiny harbour and a few cosy hotels. Of course, you will find also a beautiful relaxing beach. Read more on Port de Soller
- Best area to stay in Mallorca for cycling: go to the south-east coast and stay in Colonia de Sant Jordi. This part of the island is still unspoilt, without any sign of mass tourism. It’s a great area to explore by bike and when you are tired go to relax to one of the many beautiful beaches around, as Platja des Trenc and Platja d’es Carbó. If you are travelling with your bicycle and your family then Port of Pollensa may work even better, however, you will also have more challenging rides, with a few steep climbs around. Read more on cycling in Mallorca
- Where to stay for walking: located right in the middle of two Natural Parks, Can Picafort is the ideal place to base yourself for a few walks, even between archeological sites. You will find here also a few beautiful beaches, ideal for those hot afternoons. The Gran Bahía Hotel is a great base if you are looking for either a modern room or apartment at a good price, with a pool and sea view (see photos here).
- Where to stay in Mallorca with a toddler: Santa Ponsa is probably the best spot to stay for a few reasons. It has a lovely wide and shallow beach, well protected from the waves. It’s only 30 minutes south of the airport, quick and easy. It’s only 20 minutes from the main town of Palma de Mallorca, just in case of any sudden need
- Best place to stay for singles: it really depends on your age. Palma de Mallorca is a charming town, with nice restaurants, characteristic bars and a lovely vibe without being super crazy. Viceversa if you want to experience more of a typical tourist destination, with plenty of young “movida”(nightlife in Spanish), loud nightclubs and a wide choice of drinking holes then Playa de Palma is the right place for you if you plan to mix with a German crowd; Magaluf has instead more of a British crowd.
- Most exclusive area, popular with celebrities: Puerto Portals is the place to be with its private Marina, where you will be very likely to spot celebrities, personalities and influencers. You will find luxurious hotels and a more sophisticated nightlife. The Hotel Bendinat is one of the best accommodations around, right in front of the sea and with a private beach (see photos here). Every room has a balcony with an amazing view.
- Where to stay in Mallorca in September: this is one of the best month to visit Mallorca with day temperatures in the 26-32C range and water temperature around 22-24 degrees. You will find more options when you book your hotel and it will be less crowded overall. Palma de Mallorca (town vibe), Playa de Palma (parting) and Port of Pollensa (families) are all great places.
- Where to stay in April: that’s still considered to be the end of the winter season and you will find only a bunch of hotels and resorts already open. Temperatures are anywhere in the 10 to 20-22C during the day but it can be quite chilly during the night. The weather is going to be better than in most of the European countries, however, it will not be the best. In fact, I would personally suggest postponing your trip in the second part of May when the weather starts getting pretty much sunny every day and temperatures go up constantly in the 20s range.
- Where to stay in Summer: you may already know how popular is Mallorca. So expect plenty of people around, especially from mid-July to the end of August. Book well in advance to avoid disappointments. In most cases, you can cancel free of charge anyway (Booking.com is great for that). If you are looking for a relaxed experience then the East Coast is probably your destination, the least popular on the island. Port de Soller, for example, is a lovely and charming town.
- Where to stay in Winter: in winter you will find that most of the hotels and resorts are closed, Palma de Mallorca is the exception. The main town is the place to be, with mostly locals around enjoying their own island. An experience by itself.
- How long to stay in Mallorca: plan at least a week, although you would need 2 weeks or more to explore the island and the more remote places and beaches. You may be surprised to find beaches that you will share with just a bunch of people (except maybe in the popular July/August period)
- Best Tours and activities: Once in Mallorca, you should definitely visit the Cathedral. Buy the Skip the Line Entry Ticket to avoid spending time on queue under the sun 😉 The 5-Hour Catamaran Cruise from Palma de Mallorca is a great experience to have, especially the one leaving in the afternoon for a sunset return. For the best snorkelling, you should join this 3 hours tour, so great and such good fun.
The great thing about these tours is that they have a free cancellation policy (up to 24 hours before the activity starts). You can plan in advance without worries in case you change your mind 🙂
Where to stay in Mallorca for families
Santa Ponsa (with small kids and toddlers)
Santa Ponsa is located on the island’s south-west coast and is popular with families for many reasons the main being its calm and shallow bay waters.
This makes it safe for small kids and toddlers to enjoy a nice beach day out.
If you want to do some exploring further into the mainland, the area has numerous parks that you could visit including Mirador Illes Malgrats and Puig de sa Morisca Archaeological Park for a little taste of history.
While here, make sure to take some time to visit Jungle Parc Mallorca. The amusement fun is great for kids with everything from obstacle courses to zip-lining for the older children.
Once you are all tuckered out and famished after a day of fun, head over to Restaurante Amigos.
This Mexican restaurant is located right in the heart of Santa Ponsa and is great for families with its awesome menu and fun local-inspired décor vibes.
Another great restaurant would be Restaurant Birdie. This German restaurant has the perfect balance of fun dining and casual comfort with amazing views all around. It is also a great choice if you are looking for vegan-friendly menus.
When it comes to accommodations, Globales Verdemar is perfect for families that want the privacy of a holiday apartment while still enjoying the convenience of hotel-style amenities.
In addition to the amazing balcony views, you will get to enjoy (see photos here), you and your family will have access to a pool, a TV, equipped kitchen and continental breakfast buffet.
Port of Pollensa (with grown-up children)
The Port of Pollensa started off as a small fishing village and has since grown into a popular tourist hub on the island.
One of its major selling points is its abundance of fun activities and attractions mainly for families with older children.
Most of these attractions are centred around water-related activities from scuba diving lessons to surfing and snorkelling.
For this, you could use any of the numerous services around the beach town for equipment and a guide.
The kids would also definitely have a lot of fun on a chartered boat. Just rent a vessel, get some food and explore the bay for the day. It will definitely make for some great memories.
One of the best restaurants in the area for families is Stay Restaurant. This high-end spot overlooking the water is perfect for those nights where you just want to treat your family to something fancy.
The food is amazing, the ambience is beautiful and the views are to die for.
If you want something more casual for those laid back evenings after exploring or lunches before expedition then Celler La Parra is the ideal spot. It offers delicious meals and a great ambience at really affordable prices.
While in Port of Pollensa, the Apartamentos Don Miguel is one of the best places to stay.
This beautiful holiday apartment (see photos here) offers access to amenities like free Wi-Fi and a pool that the older children will definitely enjoy.
It is also conveniently close to the main town centre for those days you just want to walk around exploring.
For a great memorable time with kids, you should check out the Horse Riding, BBQ & Show at Rancho Grande.
They pick you up from any place you are on the island and you will get to ride your horse (from beginners to advance level).
Then you will have bbq dinner and a show. Such an interesting and busy time!
Book well in advance, it is a popular tour (you can always cancel free of charge up to 24 hours prior to the activity)
Where to stay in Mallorca for nightlife
Palma de Mallorca (the main town)
Palma de Mallorca is the main town on the Spanish island of Mallorca.
By day, it is a pretty busy town with lots of shops for you to have some retail therapy and attractions like the Banys Arabs Gardens for you to cross off your bucket list.
Despite being so busy, this town maintains a pretty calm and charming vibe which spills over into the active night scene.
If you are into partying and nightlife, but not too wild, then Palma de Mallorca is the ideal place for you on the island.
There is no better way to start a fun night on this island than with an authentic Spanish dinner in which case Calixto is the best place to go eat.
This beautiful restaurant also serves amazing sangrias and craft cocktails for that perfect pre-party buzz.
Another unique restaurant to try out in the area is the Blue Jazz Club Saratoga. In addition to the great food and awesome views, you will get to enjoy live music all night long for a truly calm and fun night out.
If, on the other hand, you want something more upbeat and hyped then the Tunnel Rock Club should be on your list of stops for the night.
The place hosts amazing live bands and serves shots and cocktails all night for an evening you will never forget.
While in Palma, consider booking your stay in Hostal Bonany.
This accommodation offers convenient access to some of the most popular nightspots including bars and restaurants.
The beautiful rooms (see photos here) also come with free Wi-Fi and access to an outdoor pool.
Playa de Palma (popular with a young German crowd)
By day, Playa de Palma is a pretty chilled out resort town that attracts tourists of all ages.
However, it is at night that this coastal strip truly comes to life.
Another popular must-visit spot in the area is the Mega Park Beer Garden.
This spot attracts more of the older crown but still has great music, a wide selection of craft beers and delicious food to enjoy.
The best part is that they stay open as late as 5 am so you can truly enjoy yourself without a rush.
One of the best places to stay in the area is Hotel Timor.
This beautiful apartment complex (see photos here) above all else offers great value at some of the best prices in Playa de Palma without compromising on the value of your stay.
You will still get to enjoy amenities like free Wi-Fi, breakfast, a pool and easy access to the main town centre.
Magaluf (popular with a young British crowd)
Magaluf has quite the reputation for being a party town and with all the clubs, bars and late-night eateries it is not so hard to see why.
This town is ideal if you want to enjoy the island’s seaside night scene as most of these night scene spots are located on the water.
What could be better than sipping on cocktails while listening to some DJs or live music, right at the beach?
This town is particularly popular with the young British crowd.
Pay a visit to the Sinky’s Scottish Pub, popular for serving English brand brews and spirits including Scottish whiskey.
Another great place to visit for this scene is Mulligan’s where you will get the quintessentially British favourite fish and chips with your drinks.
Finally, wind up your crazy night of fun with a visit to Stereo Bar Magaluf for some loud music and great cocktails.
In order to truly enjoy the night scene, you need to book your stay close to all these hotspots in which case Apartamentos Vistasol is a great idea.
This is one of the cheapest places to stay in Magaluf but still promises an amazing experience with things like beachfront access, a pool, a gym and a fitness centre to look forward to.
Best places to stay in Mallorca for the beach
Ask any local on the island and they will give you a different name on the best beach to stay.
And I fully understand why. There are so many beautiful ones. Isolated, romantic, with plenty of nightlife, perfect for toddlers and the list could go on and on.
However, if I have to make a choice, then I would say that Calla Millor is the best place to stay in Mallorca for the beach, and that’s why.
Cala Millor (something for everyone)
Cala Millor is hailed as the largest tourist development on the east coast of Mallorca Island.
Part of its massive appeal is the fact that it offers something to all types of visitors whether you are travelling as a family, a couple or you are a group of friends looking for a wild night scene to explore.
The main attractions on this side of the island are focused on water-related activities.
Considering the gorgeous long beach with beautiful white sand and the crystal clear water it is not so hard to see why.
There are numerous water sports for you to try out including snorkelling, kayaking and even jet skiing.
If you want a break from tanning and splashing about, you could explore the town and all its shops for some retail therapy.
You could also just enjoy a nice little lunch date in one of the many restaurants.
One of the most popular of these is Cala Millor Pizzeria Bella Napoli. They serve delicious traditional-style pizza which is perfect for everything, from date night and family dinners to pre-party carbo-loading.
The night scene in Cala Millor is also something worth celebrating if you like to party while on holiday.
This includes late-night restaurants like Toni’s Restaurant that is popular for serving great meals at great prices. It also stays open till very late, therefore perfect for those odd-hour hunger attacks.
The night scene also offers access to lively clubs and bars including the Cheers Bar. This spot serves as both a night club and a sports bar with a nice mixed crowd.
So where will you stay while on your trip?
Hipotels Hipocampo Playa would be a great accommodation for 2 adults travelling on a budget.
The hotel offers beautiful views of the water (see photos here) in addition to handy amenities like free Wi-Fi and a pool that further sweeten the deal.
The Dunas Aparthotel, on the other hand, would be ideal for a larger travelling party.
The beautiful holiday home comes with a sofa bed making it perfect for families with up to 3 children or a group of friends travelling together.
You also get an equipped kitchen and a living space with a TV to enjoy your time together indoors.
Best places to stay in Mallorca for couples
If you are not really after a beach time but more into a relaxed time with plenty of restaurants choice and a good selection of cool bars then Palma de Mallorca is the place for you.
You can always rent a car to explore the island or take an organised tour for some activities.
However, if you are more after a romantic town, almost secluded that does not get that crowded even in August then Port de Sellor on the east coast may be your ideal destination.
Port de Soller (romantic and secluded)
Port de Soller is ideal for couples as it offers the perfect romantic backdrop with its boutique vibes and laid back scene.
You could also enjoy a fun date night with dinner at the classy Kingfisher Restaurant. This Mediterranean restaurant serves great food with their fresh seafood being a favourite among locals and tourists.
The beautiful romantic ambience and views of the mountain from the outdoor sitting space make this restaurant popular with couples.
For a little bit more boozy fun, try Cava Cocktail Bar. They offer casual outdoor seating with amazing vibes to enjoy as you sip their amazing craft cocktails.
The Agroturismo Muleta de Ca S’hereu is a great place to book your stay if you want to truly stay in theme with the region’s boutique vibe.
The picturesque country house (see photos here) has a lot more to offer than eye candy including convenient amenities like free Wi-Fi, quick beach access and a pool.
That way you will have all that you need to make your romantic getaway truly memorable.
Best area to stay in Mallorca for cycling
Mallorca is becoming a real destination for cycling. More and more people are deciding to take their own bike with them
Easy to understand why.
The interior part of the island and the mountains, up in the north-west side, are absolutely magnificent, with lovely winding roads and plenty of villages to stop for a local coffee.
If you are after some easy riding, mostly on flat roads then book your stay in Colonia de Sant Jordi in the south of the island,
Colonia de Sant Jordi (easy riding)
This area is mostly unspoilt and you will have plenty of fun during your morning rides, without the hassle of much car traffic.
Try the beautiful ride to Far des Cap de ses Salines, the lighthouse in the southernmost part of Mallorca; you will be prized by a beautiful view.
And when you are tired, in the hot afternoons, why not going to the beach for some swimming too.
Include the breakfast in your booking, really worth the price, just the right energy for a ride
They also rent bikes or, if you have your own, they provide a dedicated place to store them.
If you prefer to stay in an apartment then the YourHouse Tio Max may be the solution for you.
They have 1 and 2Br apartments to host up to 4 people, even with a terrace and jacuzzi on the rooftop (see photos here)
If you are after a few more challenging rides then it’s better to stay in the northern part of the island.
Port of Pollensa (challenging rides)
Port of Pollensa is a great town to be based on with a nice beach as well.
This can be also a perfect solution if you are travelling with family and kids and you are planning a few rides in the early morning and then the day dedicated to the family.
Plan to do the ride to Platja Formentor, up in the peninsula, for some amazing sceneries and a few switchbacks.
Another nice climb is the ride to the Santuari de Lluc, located at a height of 525m.
You have the choice of 1BR and 2BR, which can be perfect if you are travelling with kids or friends.
And I forgot to say they are a great value for money too.
Go back using the below menu
- 1 Where to stay in Mallorca for families, nightlife, couples – in a nutshell
- 2 Where to stay in Mallorca for families
- 3 Where to stay in Mallorca for nightlife
- 4 Best places to stay in Mallorca for the beach
- 5 Best places to stay in Mallorca for couples
- 6 Best area to stay in Mallorca for cycling