Shepherd’s Hut Jeep Safari Tour – A unique experience in a hidden corner of Crete
This is one of the most unique jeep safari tours in Crete because it goes beyond the Greek stereotype of amazing beaches and turquoise water.
Of course, nobody is going to complain about the bright sun and the amazing coastline that Crete has to offer in this beautiful corner of the Mediterranean.
However, are you aware that the true soul of Crete is hidden in the mountains? Where travellers are more of a rare occasion?
This Jeep Safari Tour will take you along the 1,400-meter high White Mountains and you will visit the traditional “Mitato” or shepherd’s hut.
You will talk with the farmers, discover how they live, what challenges they face and how they produce cheese using a centuries-old method called graviera (so yummy).
It is a unique tour on comfortable, luxury 4wd vehicles where you will explore a part of the mainland through rough roads not accessible with a normal rental car or a public bus.
You can read also
- Top-rated places to visit in Crete [including some hidden gems]
- Where to stay in Crete (best areas and worst areas)
- Best itineraries of Crete, from 3 days to a 2 weeks stay (with maps and daily plans)
- Best Jeep Safaris in Crete – the top 5 in the island
- The Samaria Gorge Hike – All you need to know
- Elafonisi Beach – The practical Guide
The Shepherd’s Hut Jeep Safari Tour – In a nutshell
Location: The Shepherd’s Hut Jeep Safari Tour is located in the Chania Prefecture area, west of Crete
Pick up area: Pick up is available and included in the price in a distance up to 20km from Chania. Very convenient
Typical duration: the tour lasts 7-8 hours, starting at 9am and back in town around 5pm.
Available Days: this is a daily tour (except on Sundays) running from the 1st of April till 30th of November
Languages spoken by the tour guides: English and Greek
Available vehicle models: four-wheel drive (4wd), 7-seater Mitsubishi Pajero and Land Rover Discovery with full A/C.
Off-road experience: the tour is approx 30% of the time driving on rough roads and approx 70% on small narrow roads, typical of the Crete inland
Don’t forget the sunglasses, hat, sun cream, a jacket (depending on the weather conditions). Sport shoes or sandals are recommended.
Top 3 unmissable attractions in the tour:
- The unique Mitato or Shepherd’s Hut where you will discover how the farmers live, what challenges they face and how they produce cheese using a centuries-old method, called graviera.
- The Historical Therisso village where the Cretan revolution started in 1905. You will enjoy a walk around and a traditional Cretan snack, based on local olives, tomatoes, a cheese named “graviera”, honey and local mountain tea named “malotira”.
- The view from the 1400 m altitude
Lunchtime: A traditional lunch made of Cretan tastes, with fresh seasonal main products is provided during the tour.
Children friendly: This is a gorgeous experience for the whole family, however, keep in mind that the children should be more than 8 years old.
Shepherd’s Hut Jeep Safari Tour – How to contact
- Phone number/WhatsApp: +306973732215
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.chaniaadventures.gr
- Price & Availability: Book your tour without worrying of sudden change. You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund