Duke Hotel Gozo – The hotel with the majestic view to the Cittadella
The Duke Hotel Gozo is a beautifully decorated boutique hotel positioned a short walk from the Cittadella of Victoria, right in the centre of Gozo Island.
It is located in the top two floors of The Duke Shopping Mall. As a result, the rooms have a beautiful view of the city of Victoria and most of the island’s landscape, with the Junior Suites overlooking the Cittadella.
Do not expect a big and somehow ugly shopping mall though. In fact, it is a boutique size mall, built with the characteristic yellowish limestone that well integrates with the nearby historical houses.
The building itself is only 5 floors, of which the top 2 used by the hotel.
There is also an underground level used by a supermarket, which is so handy!
During my stay in the Duke Boutique Hotel, I had a Junior Suite which was very spacious, just the perfect size for the 3 of us (we were travelling with our 8 years old kid).
The highlight of the Junior Suite is the huge balcony area overlooking the Cittadella, with a Jacuzzi hot tub big enough for 4 people, which was a fantastic treatment after a day of sightseeing.
The interior design is luxurious and practical, down to the small details, like a coffee machine, quality soap and shampoos in the bathroom and a fridge full of soft drinks and wine to enjoy in the jacuzzi after a long day exploring Gozo.
I particularly loved the breakfast time, a la carte, but without limits. I could always ask for a second cappuccino (lovely by the way), or another dish on top of the ones already ordered.
The cherry on the cake was the Gozitan delicatessens offered as an entrée to the main breakfast course.
They were absolutely delicious. A personalised experience that makes the Duke Hotel a real boutique experience.
The choice of breakfast is very wide, and it goes from the usual suspects, like omelettes, to the locally sourced cheeses and the seasonal fruit and vegetables, of course, all fresh
The check-in was flawless, with plenty of information given to what to see and experience in Victoria and the island of Gozo.
The Duke Hotel Gozo – In a nutshell
- Where is it? Republic Street, Victoria, right in the heart of the Gozo capital, on the main street taking you to the Cittadella and the Old Town
- Who are the typical guests? As a family, I had a great time. Based on the guests and the rooms, I personally suggest the hotel for any type of stay. This can be a romantic one or a trip with the kids.
- How is the WiFi? Free wifi through all the rooms and the breakfast area. Good signal and bandwidth
- Proximity to the Gozo Harbour? The Duke Hotel Gozo is located around 6 km (or approx. 15-20 minutes drive) from the Mgarr Gozo Harbour, where the ferries from Malta arrive.
- Proximity to public transportation? The hotel is located right in the city, near the bus stations.
- Proximity to parking? There is a huge parking area on the back of the building, free of charge. You can enter the building, and therefore the hotel, also from the rare of the building, avoiding the longer walk to the main entrance.
- Check-in and check-out time? Check-in 3pm, Check out 11noon. They usually try their best to accommodate any special request. For example, I checked in around 1pm without issues.
- Room types: Standard Rooms (25-30m2), Accessible Guest Rooms (for differently abled guests, 35-48m2), Garden View Rooms with Balcony (30-48m2), Terrace Rooms with Jacuzzi Hot Tub (22-40m2), Junior Suites with Jacuzzi Hot Tub (38-40m2) and Presidential Suite (46m2). Long stay accommodations with kitchenette are also available
- Is storage available? yes, ask at the reception
- What is the phone number? +356 27799150
- Check the availability and price
Duke Hotel Gozo – Food and leisure
- Jacuzzi: available on a selected number of rooms on the top floor. I had the Junior Suite with a hot tub overlooking the Cittadella. So spectacular.
- Breakfast: from 7:30am to 10:30am. I already talked above about the breakfast. This was one of the best customised experiences I have ever had, starting from the tasting of the Gozitan delicatessens offered as an entrée to the main course.
- Lunch and dinner: not available at the hotel itself. However, there are plenty of options down in the shopping mall as well as in the street next to the hotel (more on this below).
Within easy reach of the Duke Hotel Gozo
- Casa Vostra: Italian dishes with a fabulous pizza, authentic from Naples with quality ingredients. Positioned right in front of the hotel.
- Il-Panzier, another Italian restaurant with delicious food made of ingredients sourced from the fresh local market (the mains change everyday based on the catch). I enjoyed the chilled-out backyard and the pleasant conversation with the Sicilian owner, who moved to Malta more than 25 years ago.
Drinks and/or cafes:
- Mojo’s: Their exquisite menu includes eggs cooked in a few styles, burgers, and sandwiches, making them a great cafe for brunch or lunch. The coffee is among the best in Victoria
- Capitan Spriss: a coffee/brunch place with a lovely decorated indoor area opened up to the main street, Republic Street. The food is really fresh with awesome sandwiches and great salads, served in a generous size
Supermarket and shops:
Just take the elevator to the basement and you will be in the boutique shopping mall, as easy as that. You will find
- Greens Supermarket: very well stocked, with a great choice too, perfect for the stay in Gozo. Open from 7am to 9pm
- Hog Cafe, Bistro and Bar: ideal for coffee and a quick bite. Open from 8am to 10pm and they also offer room service from 10am to 9:30pm, which can be very handy
- A good selection of shops: you can find them all on the Duke Shopping Mall website
- Villa Rundle Gardens: on the left side of the building, it is a great spot to relax and take the kids running around and spending some time at the small playground
- Victoria Playground: on the rear of the building, next to the parking area. You will find high-quality swings and slides, with the floor coated with a special shock-absorbing material. It is fenced and locked at night.
Photos of the Duke Hotel Gozo and the nearby area
Skip to minute 8.23sec of the video below to see the room and the view to Valletta from the balcony