Where to stay in Paros
This is a big island, with lots of activities and experiences to have, including great nightlife, so no wonder it’s hard to figure out where to stay in Paros, and what is the best area.
By the way, I have a particular connection with this island and that’s because I would never stop going there for windsurfing and now foil surfing, my beloved sports
With this guide, I try to answer most of the questions I usually receive, including the best place to stay in Paros for couples, a relaxed stay or some family time
But let’s get into it
Where to stay in Paros – in a nutshell
Here below is a quick table that summarizes the best areas and towns to stay in Paros.
Keep in mind that the rating (1-5, with 5 being the best) is, of course, very subjective.
Click on the Area/Town to read below a more detailed description with all the pros and cons.
|Also great for||Avg. Cost||Suggested|
|Where to stay in Paros for families & budget||Parikia||Couples, nightlife||$-$$$||Sandom or|
|Where to stay in Paros for nightlife & beaches||Noussa||Couples||$$-$$$$||Bocamviglies|
|Where to stay in Paros for couples & budget||Piso Livadi||Relax||$-$$$||Vrohaki||17Km||4||3||1|
|Where to stay in Paros for sports||Golden Beach||Foil Surfing|
|Where to stay in Paros for families & beach||Aliki||Seclusion||$$-$$$||Holidays in Paros||13Km||5||3||1|
I have drawn the below map so that it will be easier for you to picture all the destinations.
Ask most of the people that have visited this island and they will probably tell you that the best places to stay in Paros are Parikia and Naoussa. These two towns certainly offer a lot, however, I would not discount other areas on the island.
Both towns are beautiful. In saying that, Parikia and Naoussa have some key differences that I extensively wrote about in my comparative guide.
For a short version, here is a quick summary.
- Which one is more beautiful? I think Naoussa is more picturesque and charming, with plenty of character. This does not mean that Parikia is not lovely, it’s just as not lovely as Naoussa
- Better local beaches? Parikia here wins in my opinion, the local Lavidia Beach is a long nice beach with calm water metres from the town centre, ideal for swimming and sunbathing.
- Better reachable beaches? Naoussa has some amazing beaches easily reachable in minutes by either boat or bus, probably the best beaches in Paros and there are a few.
- Best for nightlife?: Naoussa tends to be more popular with a young Greek crowd meanwhile Parikia is more cosmopolitan.
Parikia (the capital of the island)
- 🌎 Where to stay in Paros for families 🏩 Sandom is the recommended accommodation in the area
- 👍 Pros: quiet but with some easy-going nightlife options, good value for money, lovely town, restaurants/bars, very practical, well connected with buses
- 👎 Cons: it can get loud in a few areas (select your accommodation carefully), local beach clubs are expensive
- 🍷 Best restaurants and bars: The Little Green Rocket and Parea Cuisine
- 🧛♂️ Nightlife: Pirates Bar and The Dubliner
Parikia, commonly known as Chora, is the lovely port town where you will arrive by ferry if island hopping.
It is an absolute gem that will beg you to stay with its beautiful views and the infectious vibes of the locals and tourists.
Parikia is one of the few towns in the Cyclades that stay “open” and active also in winter with many people actually living there.
Whether you use it as your main base or a day trip, there is a lot for you to do and many places for you to visit.
Top on your must-visit list should be the iconic Kastro Hill.
It is home to medieval architectural gems, unlike anything you will ever see.
You could also visit the Butterflies Nature Reserve, just 7km from the town.
This is a small oasis, with a much cooler temperature where many butterflies live.
If you love fantastic views, the Windmill at the Port is a wonderful spot with a scenic view of the water.
Speaking of water, Parikia also has numerous beaches for you to explore for those fun days in the sun.
Parikia is probably the best place to stay in Paros for families, looking to have some quiet time at the beach and at the same time a place for dinner and a nice walk in the old town for ice cream.
For families with small kids, you can also find a playground in the main square, just off the roundabout with the windmill.
The town is however quite big in size, and honestly, I would suggest Parikia also to couples for a mix of easygoing beaches, cafes, restaurants and chill-out bars open till late, however, without any crazy nightlife party (something you will have in Naoussa)
When it comes to restaurants, The Little Green Rocket is a really good spot if you want somewhere casual with a fantastic menu and an even better cocktail list.
For something fancier, check out Parea Cuisine for the amazing food and the great ambience.
Hotels, rooms and apartments are very good value in Parikia, especially if compared to Naoussa.
You can, of course, also find some lovely boutique options, but they tend to be outside the Old Centre.
Sandom is a beautiful spot that will have you close enough to the action and at the same time far enough away that you enjoy the seclusion of a wonderful holiday destination.
And with its beautiful design, décor and location, it has a lot to offer in terms of a boutique stay (see photos here).
Naoussa (the picturesque town)
- 🌎 Where to stay in Paros for nightlife 🏩 Bocamviglies By The Sea is the recommended accommodation in the area
- 👍 Pros: one of the best nightlife in the Greek Islands, romantic and charming town, close to the best beaches of Paros, well connected to Parikia
- 👎 Cons: it can be very loud (select very carefully your accommodation, my suggestions below are safe), local beaches are not clean
- 🍷 Best restaurants and bars: Moraitis Winery, Les Amis Restaurant and Wine bar and Notos
- 🧛♂️ Nightlife: Sante Cocktail Bar and Akanthus Night Club
Naoussa (also written as Naousa) is as typically Greek as it gets.
The picturesque little town looks like something straight out of a travel catalogue or postcard with the beautiful water and mesmerizing chaos of the whitewashed buildings.
Despite its popularity with travellers, Naoussa maintains its enchanting small fishing town atmosphere.
Beach bumming is a part of the culture here so it would be ideal if you want your travel itinerary based on warm sands, clear skies and crystal waters.
This family-owned winery is famous the world over and has won several awards over the years for its high-quality wines, fantastic standards and use of innovative winery techniques.
The culinary scene in the area is also pretty awesome with everything from Greek and Mediterranean cuisine to intercontinental options.
Some of the best restaurants in the area include Les Amis Restaurant and Wine bar for a high-end experience and Notos for a more casual family-run experience.
If you are looking for nightlife, then Naoussa will not disappoint you.
However, if you are looking for a real party then the Akanthus Night Club is the place for you with great music and a lively ambience (service should be improved though).
Naoussa and Parikia are very well connected with frequent bus runs, which is so practical, especially if you want to explore more of the island than just Naoussa.
Accommodation-wise, unfortunately, this is probably the most expensive area to stay in Paros. This is not to say that you will not find good deals, but you have to dig harder for them.
Piso Livadi (secluded and romantic)
- 🌎 Where to stay in Paros for couples on a budget 🏩 Vrohaki is the recommended accommodation in the area
- 👍 Pros: small charming village, relaxing, budget-friendly, nice beaches, 1Km to the most famous beach club of Paros
- 👎 Cons: not much happening (and that is why I suggested it for a secluded stay)
- 🍷 Best restaurants and bars: Gialos
- 🧛♂️ Nightlife: Piso Piso Bar + Punda Beach (great beach club)
This is a small charming village on the east coast of Paros, easily reachable by bus from Parikia.
There is a characteristic little pier with a few restaurants along the tiny bay.
If you plan to stay there for a few days you may actually end up enjoying all of them.
Piso Livadi is the best place to stay in Paros for couples on a budget looking for a relaxed and chilled-out breakaway.
Gialos is one of my recommended restaurants, just refurbished with fantastic local food at a good price.
For after-dinner drinks and cocktails, you should go next door to the Piso Piso Bar, very cosy.
There are three beaches:
- Piso Livadi Beach: a tiny one, very well protected from the wind, next to the pier, not the best but nice.
- Paralia Logaras: much longer and wider, just 500m from the pier. Beautiful and with a few trees to have a nap in the shade. Part of it is organised with sunbeds. It may have some waves if the day is very windy
- North coast: there a few tiny beaches, very nice and boutique but it can be quite windy in the afternoon, especially in July and August.
There is a fourth beach, Punda Beach, 1 km south along the coast. This is the place to be if you are after a day party in a beach club with DJ sessions that start at lunchtime till late. A small Mykonos world.
Aliki (south coast repaired by the wind)
- 🌎 Where to stay in Paros for families & beaches 🏩 Holidays in Paros is the recommended accommodation in the area
- 👍 Pros: not windy, very quiet and secluded, well priced
- 👎 Cons: small selections of restaurants, no nightlife
- 🍷 Best restaurants and bars: Balconi Taverna
If you are travelling with toddlers and babies, or you just want to have a quieter stay then Aliki may be the place for your holiday.
This is a small village on the south coast of Paros, with 3 beaches well protected from the wind:
- Aliki beach: it’s a small one right in the centre of the town with a small playground nestled between trees. It’s a nice one but not the best around
- Agios Nikolaos Beach: it’s a nice shallow water beach perfect for small kids. The colour of the sea in this bay is turquoise, really impressive. There is a good size playground next to the basketball court.
- Piso Aliki Beach: hidden on the back of the pier. Another lovely one, with very very shallow water, again ideal for the little ones. You have here a mix of sand and pebbles.
For dinner, I would recommend the Balconi Taverna, delicious food with a great view.
Holidays in Paros is an ideal accommodation for both families and couples, spacious, well furnished, right next to the beach and the town centre.
Just perfect and at a bargain price.
Golden and New Golden Beach
- 🌎 Where to stay in Paros for kitesurfing and wind sports 🏩 Hotel Poseidon is the recommended accommodation in the area
- 👍 Pros: consistent wind (especially in July and August), quiet, nice local restaurants around
- 👎 Cons: if you are not planning kitesurfing/windsurfing/foil surfing then avoid this place, too windy
Golden and New Golden Beach are just 1 km from each other, both in the village of Chrisi Akti, so you can stay in the same accommodation and explore both.
Golden and New Golden Beach are world-famous for their great wind, the northerly Meltemi. The PWA World Cup was hosted here for several years.
The peak wind season is in July and August, which is when you can experience the most consistent and intense wind, great for foil surfing, windsurfing and kitesurfing.
If you travel with your gear, I may suggest going small. I personally have seen a windsurf going out with a 2.5m sail, total madness (usually the wind increases during the day, with the peak around 4-6 pm)
Just a short reminder that you may get disappointed in June and September when the consistency of the wind is not as good as in July or August.
New Golden Beach is much smaller and it has, in my opinion, better steady wind.
Golden Beach is much bigger and nicer however it can be gusty and you would need to go a bit out of the little bay to have nice clear wind.
In both cases, the wind is offshore, which means you need to pay attention otherwise you may not be able to come back home.
Stay in Golden Beach Bay if you are just starting with the sport.
Check out Force7 Club if you need gear or lessons, very knowledgeable and experienced.
The Hotel Poseidon of Paros is a spectacular hotel with a Spa too, which is great if you are travelling as a couple and your partner would like a massage meanwhile you are out in the water (happy wife happy life).
The rooms are boutique-style, with a lovely interior design (see photos here).
Overall a great stay.
Frequently asked questions on where to stay in Paros
Should I stay in Parikia or Naoussa?
In short: Naoussa is more picturesque but still, Parikia has lots of character too. They are both very lively, although, generally speaking, Naoussa tends to be more popular with young Greeks meanwhile Parikia has more of an international crowd. I organised a full guide that compares Naoussa and Parikia with 10 key differences.
Where to stay in Paros cheap
Where to stay in Paros for nightlife
Best beach club in Paros for partying
Punda Beach, one km south of Piso Livadi, is a famous destination not only for the lovely sandy beach but also for the beach clubs that offer a good mix of sunbeds, cocktails and DJ sessions throughout the day. Definitely good fun.
Best areas in Paros for kitesurfing and foil surfing
Best place to stay in Paros for beaches
Best areas in Paros for couples
Where to stay in Paros with family
Cool places to stay in Paros
Naoussa is the most picturesque town in Paros. Take a boat and in a few minutes, you will be also on amazing and spectacular beaches. This is also a town famous for its boutique accommodations.
Where to stay in Paros for hiking
You can find some good trekking options around the charming town of Lefkes, a very relaxing place to stay in Paros. The StudioCalypso is a good accommodation to stay with a nice wide terrace and a lovely view (see photos here). Alternatively, stay in Parikia and take a bus (every two hours or so) for a day trip.
Where to stay in Paros in June
This is a lovely month to stay on the island, right at the start of high season. You will experience mostly sunny warm days. The water is still sort of coolish but you can definitely have a swim. The wind picks up a bit but not as strong. The busiest town is Parikia, meanwhile, Naoussa is starting to be busy and active. Everywhere else is quiet.
Where to stay in Paros in July and August
Where to stay in Paros in September
Parikia and Naoussa are both great options, lively but not super busy as in August. If you are travelling end of September or even October, then Parikia works better because Naoussa tends to shut down most of the boat services towards the end of the month and you will not be able to access the marvellous beaches. Also, bars and restaurants get very quiet.
Is it Better to stay in Paros or Naxos?
Short answer: Paros is for nightlife, Naxos is more for a chilled-out and relaxing time. But there is so much more than that. In fact, you can find 10 key differences between Paros and Naxos.
Is it Better to stay in Paros or Antiparos?
Antiparos is a very quiet destination, besides being a tiny island. It works great if you are after a romantic place to be, not as popular as Paros. There are amazing places to stay in Antiparos, however, they all work great only if you are after a secluded and chilled-out breakaway.
How is the bus network in Paros
Very reliable, great service. You can check the timetable here.