Where to stay in Naxos with comparison table
I visited this island first back in 2000 and it became straight away one of my favourites because of its amazing beaches and unique landscape.
But it’s quite a big island, actually the bigger in the Cyclades.
So it comes as no surprise that you may find it difficult to understand where to stay in Naxos.
Here, you will find all the information on the best areas to stay in Naxos based on your type of holiday, this can be a family retreat, a couple’s getaway, just some time at the beach and more.
After my recent visit, I have also added a handy comparison table making the decision process much quicker and easier
But let’s get into it.
Best towns to stay in Naxos for families, couples and beaches – in a nutshell
As I previously said, this is a big island, however, most of it is actually inhabited making the exploration even more interesting.
The best areas to stay in Naxos are on the central west coast, great also for the most beautiful sunset.
The busiest part of the island, where most of the visitors tend to stay, is around Naxos Town (also called Old Town and Chora), within 5-6km from the port where the ferry arrives.
If you want to experience the whole island, including the secluded and hidden beaches, I suggest renting a car or a scooter.
The table below compares the major areas/destinations based on average cost ($-$$$$$), distance to the Old Town, the beach (1-5 with 1 being the lowest score) and other factors. I added also links to suggested hotels in the area.
Click on the area name to read much more information about it, with all the pros and cons of booking there, besides tips on hotels, cafes, restaurants etc.
|Old Town (Chora)
Here below a map of the island where I have highlighted the top areas
Here below you can watch a video I made on the island about where to stay in the Naxos.
Unfortunately, to keep it short, I could not include all the destinations and information you are reading on this post, however it will give you a good idea of most of the areas
Naxos Old Town – Chora
- 🌎 Best place to stay in Naxos for nightlife 🏩 Zas Studios is the recommended accommodation in this area
- 👍 Pros – The most characteristic destination on the island, best clubs, great restaurants and bars, budget accommodations
- 👎 Cons – Very popular and busy, it can be really noisy, select carefully your accommodation
Naxos Town is the place to be for a few late drinks, some music, and possibly dancing too.
It’s the place with restaurants full till late and a nice vibe overall.
The old part of town is super nice with the typical Cyclades architecture.
In the Chora you can still find a few hostels, however, it is not anymore the budget destination as it used to be (check New Town instead for that)
For dinner check out the Antamoma Cuisine Deli Store, a fusion restaurant with traditional cuisine influenced by new “modern ingredients”.
The “nightlife” is mostly concentrated around the Sailing Club, down at the port.
Zas Studios offer stylish accommodation right in the heart of the old town
The rooms are well equipped with all you need and the location is just perfect, meters from the beach and the bars/restaurants
It’s within walking distance also to the ferry pier.
The Studios Zafiri is one of the most economical accommodations in Naxos.
The rooms are simple and spacious. The location is just 10 minutes walk from the heart of the action and the beach
The service is just unique, they even welcome you at the ferry port.
- 🌎 Best place to stay in Naxos on a budget 🏩 Katerina Roza Studios is the recommended accommodation in this area
- 👍 Pros – Amazing value for money, walking distance to both the beach and Chora
- 👎 Cons – New buildings (not as characteristic), residential area (lack of bars/restaurants)
The New Town of Naxos is located just outside the Chora/Old Town.
It is one of the most recent areas of Naxos and the architecture style is a reflection of it, basic however functional.
Being outside the Old Town means that you will have a quiet place to stay, still walking distance to the bars, restaurants and nightlife of the Chora.
Moreover you will be walking distance from Agios Georgios Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in Naxos.
If you are on a budget and you still don’t know where to stay in Naxos, then the New Town is your destination.
Sure, it lacks in character, but walk 500m or more and you will be in the middle of the action, or at least not too far from it 🙂
One of the best accommodations in the area is the Katerina Roza Studios, with modern bathrooms and lovely bedrooms with plenty of character.
You will also be walking distance to both the beach and the Chora action. Katerina offers one of the best value for money in the island.
More information on Naxos?> Best beach resorts in Naxos (for families, couples or a secluded stay)
> Naxos or Paros, which one is better
- 🌎 Best place to stay in Naxos for an overall experience 🏩 Katerina Roza Studios is the recommended accommodation in this area
- 👍 Pros – Amazing Beach, walking distance to Chora, beach sports
- 👎 Cons – Probably the most expensive area in Naxos
Honestly, it’s hard to say where Naxos Town ends and Agios Georgios starts.
It is developed along a beautiful long beach with shallow crystal clear water, perfect for the kids to play without too many worries.
There are a few organised areas with sunbeds and umbrellas as well as public beach sectors
Families tend to go on the northern side (close to town), meanwhile, couples and youngsters tend to stay more in the central part, in one of the beach clubs.
The beach is well repaired from the wind, except in the far end southern part where you can practice wind sports (for any age).
Flisvos Watersports has all you need for some fun, including canoes and SUP
Keep walking to the Laguna Beach for the best place to learn windsurfing or kitesurfing, a nice spot well repaired from waves.
In the evening you have many options to choose from.
The Sergiani Restaurant is a great choice for families, fantastic food at an affordable price.
For a romantic sunset dinner, I suggest booking a table at Kavouri, great local food, right in front of the water at an affordable price.
Alternatively, you can decide to walk 10-15 minutes to the centre of Naxos Old Town where you will find plenty of restaurants and nice bars for an after-dinner drink.
They are simple, clean and very affordable.
I still remember my breakfast with greek yogurt on the balcony and of course the sunset drinks.
Rooms are spacious and well presented.
- 🌎 Best place to stay in Naxos for beach clubs 🏩 Anna Studios is the recommended accommodation in this area
- 👍 Pros – Lovely Beach, chilled out, beach clubs
- 👎 Cons – Limited nightlife, 6km from the Old Town (20-25 minutes by bus)
Only till a short time ago, I would have suggested Agios Prokopios to families with kids, however, this town, in the last few years has gone through a massive transformation.
Agios Prokopios is today the place to be for Beach Clubs and chill out music that becomes more energetic as the day progresses.
What has not changed, is the amazing beach, with shallow and turquoise water. A real paradise.
Agios Prokopios is the place to be for the young crowd although, it must be said, the town does not offer any crazy nightlife (Chora is the place for that).
If you are after a chilled out stay, surrounded by lovely music and a cool environment, then Agios Prokopios has to be.
For your stay, you should check out Anna Studios, a great value accommodation with plenty of character and a lovely pool too.
The location is unbeatable, a stone away from the beach clubs and restaurants area, however, still so quiet, perfect for a long night sleep.
- 🌎 Best place to stay in Naxos for families 🏩 Despina Hotelis the recommended accommodation in this area
- 👍 Pros – Amazing Beach, shallow water, quiet, best for families, value for money
- 👎 Cons – No nightlife, 7km from the Old Town (20-30 minutes by bus)
This is a much quieter town with a few restaurants around, usually family-run, for a nice local meal.
The beach is more beautiful than Agios Georgios, however, there is not much happening besides sunbathing, a nice walk and building sandcastles of course.
It may be the perfect spot if you are travelling with babies and toddlers.
They will be able to sleep in the afternoon as well as in the evening without any noise around.
The beach is mostly organised, however, walk 100m north and it becomes all public.
I loved my time at Sto Kýma Bar/Restaurant, right on the beach, they offer free sun beds and umbrellas if you order your drinks or food there.
Besides being very good value for money, they serve amazing mains and gyros.
For dinner, they organise tables straight on the beach, however, remember to book in advance as it is quite a popular place in Agia Anna
On our recent trip with our kid, I loved my stay at Despina Hotel, an ideal accommodation when travelling with children.
Located a stone away from the amazing beach, it offers spacious rooms with small kitchenettes and balconies, a great setup to organise breakfast
They also share beach toys, balls and floaties which is another great bonus. Overall a great value for money.
Apollonas (romantic & secluded)
If you are looking for the most romantic and secluded spot on the island then Apollonas is your final destination.
This is a small fishing village on the north-east coast with whitewashed houses, a small port around a rock formation.
The main beach is right in front of the village, well repaired from the wind.
The back beach is also very nice, however, it can be quite windy, especially in July and August.
Recommended is also the walk to the wild Fokas Beach (30 minutes to 1 hour based on which way you take)
There are a few restaurants around the little pier, a couple of old shops and that’s pretty much it.
The Nikos Tavern is a great place for dinner, family-run with lovely fresh and genuine Greek food.
The Akti Apollona is one of the best places to stay in town.
The location is just perfect, a stone away from the water (see photos here)
The rooms are spacious, clean, simple with a great family service.
More information on the Greek Islands?> Best Greek Islands for beaches (sandy or pebbles)
> Best Greek Islands for couples
> Paros Travel Guide
> Antiparos Travel Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where should I stay in Naxos with family: Agios Georgios is the perfect spot with the beautiful shallow beach perfect for kids to play around. You will also have easy access to Naxos Town for some shopping and a nice walk in the evening. Another alternative is Agios Anna, much quieter, fantastic value for money, and with an even more spectacular beach.
- What is the best place for nightlife: Naxos Old Town is the place to be for the nightlife. There are plenty of restaurants, a few bars, open till late, and a bunch of clubs that tend to change every second season. You will be also walking distance to the lovely beach of Agios Georgios or catch a bus to the famous beach clubs of Agios Prokopios for the unique turquoise water.
- Where to stay in Naxos for couples: Agios Georgios is a great place, right at the beach and only 10-15 minutes by foot to Naxos Old Town where you can experience a plethora of restaurants and bars for a late drink. Apollonas, in the north of the island, is a great alternative if you are looking for a romantic secluded break away. This village is a little gem hidden away from everything and everywhere. It’s still a small fishing village with a nice characteristic port area, whitewashed houses and a few restaurants around. The wild beach is perfect for a swim.
- Best place on a budget: New Town has the highest concentration of budget-oriented accommodations. Agia Anna comes probably second, just 7km south of the old town, however, you would need to consider that you will not have as many bus options to tour the island as from Naxos Town.
- Best area to stay in Naxos Old Town/Chora: the capital of the island is actually quite big in size, it’s more than just a touristic resort. It is, in fact, one of the few islands “open” also in winter. The north side of town is the quietest area, but also the one with more wind (the northerly Meltemi, stronger in July and August). It’s however very handy, being meters away from both the ferry pier and the KTEL bus station. The neighbourhood around the sailing port is the one with the bars and clubs. The view at sunset is spectacular, a perfect place to stay if you are after daily night drinks. The south side, bordering Agios Georgios is more family-oriented, quieter, with plenty of restaurants around and a good selection of accommodation.
- Best place to stay in Naxos for beach: one of the most beautiful beaches on the island is in Agios Prokopios 6km south of Naxos town. It’s a nice little town, with a few restaurants and accommodations, perfect for a relaxing stay. In saying that, Agia Anna and other areas have amazing beaches too.
- Best place to visit Naxos without a car: The Naxos Old Town is the destination to be based. From there you can walk to Agios Georgios for the local beach. You have plenty of restaurants, bars and a few club options. Finally, you are in the hub of the public transportation network, so easy to catch a bus and explore the island.
- Best place for kitesurfing and windsurfing: Stay in Agios Georgios but walk down to the southern end of the bay where you will find a few windsurfing and kitesurfing centres, with Laguna Beach a great spot for beginners. Another option is the very quiet Mikri Vigla beach, the onshore wind will give you more of a safe place for kitesurfing and windsurfing.
- Best area in Naxos for trekking: you can find some great walks on the island, as the one to the Routsouna’s Waterfall, where you can have also a refreshing dive. In saying that there are not really mountain towns to start all or a few of them. You better rent a car and drive on a daily basis to your trek locations.
- Where to stay for a quiet breakaway: anywhere around Aliko Beach, in the south of the island, is perfect for some relaxing time where you can forget about the busy life and think to be suddenly in paradise. The Skarmoutsos Studios on the nearby Pyrgaki Beach are a fantastic accommodation for a secluded and chilled out stay. You will have also a bunch of restaurants around for a quiet nice local meal.