Miami itinerary 4 or 5 days – itineraries with things to do based on your type of vacation
This is one of the most eclectic metropolis in the USA, with a unique beach area and a surprising city with plenty of culture, art and design.
But can you experience it all with a Miami itinerary in 4 days, or even better 5 days?
Yes, you can, however, I recommend planning your trip in advance. You will be surprised by how much you will be able to see and experience in 4 or 5 days in Miami.
The information in this guide will assist you in organizing your itinerary based on your interests, whether you are looking for art & culture, a family vacation, a romantic getaway or just a bit of everything
Now let’s get started
Table of Contents
- 1 4 or 5 days in Miami – in a nutshell
- 2 4 or 5 days in Miami for couples
- 3 4 or 5 days in Miami for families
- 4 Five days for art & culture
- 5 For a bit of everything
You can read also
- Best districts to stay in Miami City for families, couples, art or nightlife
- Where to stay in Miami Beach (the best 3 areas)
- 19 great things to do in Miami (beach, downtown and nearby)
- Best itineraries of Miami from 2 to 10 days
4 or 5 days in Miami – in a nutshell
A Miami itinerary of 4 or 5 days will allow you to experience so much.
On another post, I talked about 5 itineraries for 2 or 3 days in Miami, and I also mentioned how tight it will be
In this guide, you’ll see a detailed day-by-day schedule for four itinerary types: families, couples, art & culture and a bit of everything
I have marked the fifth day as optional (skip it if you will spend only four days in Miami).
- 4 or 5 days in Miami for couples: This is enough time to explore the best that this city offers, including a day trip to an Indian Reservation in the Everglades National Park, a unique experience to better understand the life of the native Americans in a beautiful context of sub-tropical flora and fauna, between crocodiles, alligators and dolphins. Read more below on a 4 or 5 days in Miami for couples with a suggested daily plan
- 4 or 5 days in Miami for families: Miami actually offers so much to families and kids. You will be surprised, especially considering how famous is Miami for its nightlife, but not really for the little ones. In 4 or 5 days, you will be able to discover great attractions in a relaxed way, from the Zoo to the Aquatic Centre and the Children Museum, to name a few. Keep reading below on a family itinerary
- For art & culture: The metropolis of Miami is among the most eclectic in the United States. During the last 20 years, the city has evolved into a hub for art, culture, and design. Entire districts have been converted into open air exhibitions (Wynwood is a great example). Art deco-style buildings, museums, and galleries dot the city and beach areas. Plan ahead and you are likely to be surprised at how much you can see and do. Read more below for a detailed daily plan
- For a bit of everything: This is the itinerary that includes a bit of everything,for the active travellers that want to experience as much as possible, with lots of variety too. Read below for more details
To move around Miami, you have a few possibilities:
- public transportation: check out timetables and maps directly on the Miami Dade Transit website
- taxi/Uber/Lyft: they are all good options. It is the best choice if you have to change 2 or 3 means of public transportation. Much quicker but more expensive too. Lyft tends to be the cheapest of the services.
- bike: this is a great option if you are in Miami Beach. So easy to cycle around and stop over for a few photos by the art déco buildings as well as the beach. You can rent the bike here or even take an art deco guided bike tour to discover the iconic sites as well as the little gems.
For great peace of mind, most, if not all, of the organised activities suggested in this post offer 100% money back guarantee in case of cancellation up to 24 hours in advance.
If visiting during a busy time like the school holidays, I usually book everything weeks before the trip. If my plans change, I cancel what is no longer necessary. So simple and effective.
4 or 5 days in Miami for couples
Day 1 – Jet Ski, Rubell Museum and Superblue Museum
Getting your toes wet is a must when in Miami.
We suggest a cool jet ski city tour for you and your significant other to enjoy the water and fresh sea air.
This is a 2.5 hours tour where you will get to visit not only Miami Downtown from a unique point of view, the water, but also the islands around the city, otherwise inaccessible.
After some freshening up, take a visit to the Rubell Museum in the Allapattah district (Santa Clara train station) and experience art from talented but overlooked artists.
Having been around for over 25 years, there is something for you lovebirds to admire in its 36 galleries.
Right across is the Superblue Museum, where art comes to life.
Take your loved one to the Suspension Program, where you will find rotating extraordinary exhibitions. Visitors are welcome from 10am to 7pm or 8pm.
As a bonus, you can enjoy a meal at the Blue Rider Cafe at the Museum.
Day 2 – Little Havana and Vizcaya
Put on your comfy clothes and shoes and get ready for today’s activities.
If you want to learn and mingle with South and Central American folks, Little Havana is the place to be.
Most of it lies on 8th Street in downtown Miami, more famously known as Calle Ocho.
Enjoy a walking food & art tour with lunch in restaurants that offer authentic Cuban and Caribbean dishes.
You can also enjoy graffiti, art and cultural shows along Calle Ocho.
In the afternoon, take in some culture and nature at the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.
What started as an upscale villa in the 1900s is now a museum with beautiful gardens that you can explore.
To get there from Little Havana, take a taxi/Uber (~20 minutes) or grab the bus to the Coconut Grove Train station and from there, Vizcaya is just one stop north.
Day 3 – South Beach and Art deco
This is yet another day to soak up the Miami sun with your sweetheart.
You can start the morning with a 30 minutes scenic flight over South Beach to bask in the scenery.
A quick suggestion. This is one of the most beautiful scenery in the United States. Book instead the 60 minutes flight, if you can afford the price difference.
You will want this scenic flight to never end.
After that, take a walking tour in South Beach and then wind down with a nice sunbathing session. A tour of Miami has never been so relaxing!
If you are lovers of historical architecture, have a walk in the streets and alleys of South Beach to discover the many Art Deco buildings
One of the places you can check out is the swanky Celino South Beach Hotel which was a watering hole for legendary celebrities like Clark Gable.
You can do some shopping and dining along the pedestrian-only Lincoln Road which is lined with restaurants, shops and bars.
Tired of walking? Rent a bike or join this bike tour with a local guide that will take you through the iconic deco buildings as well as the little gems of South Beach
Day 4 – Wynwood and Mid-Beach
Day 4 is a day to embrace some street art and graffiti in Wynwood.
Here, you will enjoy street art from artists from around the world – one melting pot of graffiti culture!
If you want to get the most out of the Wynwood magic, get your tickets for a 1 Hour Buggy Street Art Tour.
Afternoons by the beach make for a romantic time for lovebirds.
Mid Beach has boardwalks, beaches and fancy hotels for you to visit.
Some retail therapy at the Miami Beach Boardwalk or a stroll down Millionaire’s row will make your 4th day in Miami a memorable one.
You can get from Wynwood to Mid-Beach with a taxi/Uber (15 minutes) or direct bus J (30 minutes)
Day 5 (optional) – day trip to Everglades
Still have some time to enjoy your romantic time together?
Time to get a little adventurous away from Miami at the Everglades National Park.
Picture 1.5 million acres of swamp and nature where you can do some bird watching while checking out alligators and other wildlife.
For couples, I suggest the Everglades Indian Reservation Day-Tour Safari, which includes not only a trip into the National Park by airboat but also a visit to traditional Indian villages of the Seminole Tribe of Florida.
This is one of the federally recognized reservations in Florida where you can appreciate the Seminoles and their traditional way of life.
Accommodations and experiences for couples:
- Best Hotels: Iberostar Berkeley Shore (romantic and in the best location of South Beach with easy access to Miami Downtown), The Marlin Hotel (amazing value for money)
- Best Airbnb: 250 Collins I Sextant (amazing location with outdoor pool), VHC Apartments (great location, close to the beach and on the way to Downtown)
- Organised experiences:
4 or 5 days in Miami for families
Day 1 – Zoo Miami
The Miami-Dade Zoological Park and Gardens, also known as Zoo Miami is the place to be to enjoy some subtropical wildlife adventures.
With over 500 animal species, double the number of plant species and over 100 special exhibits, you want to set this day aside to roam Zoo Miami corridors.
A special treat awaits visitors to this zoo.
There are Zoo Lights past 4pm that you and your family can appreciate after a wild day.
Day 2 – Seaquarium and Historic Virginia Key Beach Park
A day of family fun awaits you at the Miami Seaquarium, located in Virginia Key, reachable by bus B from Brickell
Come and enjoy watching the manatees, rays, sea turtles, dolphins and many more aquatic animals.
You can score your family tickets and enjoy a day of aquatic life.
About 8 minutes from the Seaquarium is the historic Virginia Key Beach Park. Here, the family can take a scenic city tour thanks to a carousel or a train ride.
Day 3 – Children’s Museum and Frost Museum of Science
Day 3 of more family adventures await you at the Miami Children’s Museum.
This is a facility that lets children and the young at heart to learn and play.
Here you will be treated to exhibitions and shows that will make your Miami day tour memorable.
In the afternoon, to keep the fun and science going, take a 20 minute ride along MacArthur Causeway to visit the Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science.
The whole family can enjoy the power of science through the innovative exhibitions found here.
Day 4 – A Day at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden
Experience a day of family fun at the Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden. There is so much to do for both kids and adults.
Wings of the Tropics is a butterfly exhibition which will please the whole family.
The children can also experience some adventure on the Expedition Discovery. The kids get maps and adventure gear which earn them a unique pin when completed.
You can enjoy family picnics in the garden. There is something for everyone here.
Day 5 (optional) – Beach Day at Miami Beach
Let the family explore Miami one more day!
This time, let’s make it a relaxed day for everyone. Rent a bike in South Beach and take a tour up north to Mid and North Beach.
Back for a swim in the South Beach waters to cool off after the tour, which we’re sure the young ones will appreciate.
All this, while the adults do some sunbathing to pass the time and take in the Miami air one more time.
Accommodations and experiences for families:
- Best AirBnb in Miami City: Fortune House Suites and Apartments (great value in the perfect location to explore Miami), Mint House (in downtown with a pool)
- Best Airbnb in Miami Beach: 250 Collins I Sextant (amazing location with outdoor pool), VHC Apartments (great location, close to the beach and on the way to Downtown)
- Organised experiences: Rent a bike in South Beach
Five days for art & culture
Miami has been always a city of mixed cultures, with a significant influence from the Spanish-speaking community, especially the Cuban one.
The city has a great international feeling and it is not uncommon to walk in the street and hearing people talking different languages, besides English.
In the last 20 years, Miami has also become one of the most arty city in the States with regular exhibitions, new museums and galleries.
In fact, the city is today world famous for one of the biggest street art installations, in a district rehabilitated from dilapidated warehouses and factories.
Day 1 Little Havana & Vizcaya Museum
In the morning, discover the charm of Cuba in the United States by starting your vacation with a visit to the Little Havana District, where you can find cigar stores, rum bars, and live salsa music in the streets of this beautiful area.
Discover what’s going on in the area and buy a souvenir to remember your time here at the Visitor’s Center in Calle Ocho, the heart of the district.
Places you shouldn’t miss include:
- Walk of Fame, with the footprints of Cuban and Latin actors and singers
- Futurama 1637 and the RC Gallery art galleries, very close to each other, as well as the Fajardo Art Gallery
- Cuban Memorial Boulevard Park, with the memorials to the Cuban heroes
- El Titan de Bronze, to watch the owner making Cuban cigars
There is so much to see between the streets and alleyways that you could spend all day exploring them.
Take a break for lunch at the renowned Ball & Chain, known for its Cuban food and live music.
You can also join this food and art guided tour through the Cuban quarter, stopping at galleries and restaurants while tasting Cuban food. It includes lunch as well, such a great value.
In the afternoon, take the bus #27 to Coconut Grove and from there you will be just one stop by Metrorail to the Vizcaya Museum And Gardens.
The trip (4 miles) takes around 50-60 minutes by public transportation. Alternatively, take a taxi/Uber and you will be there in 15-25 minutes, based on traffic.
The Vizcaya House is one of the most historic estates in the city, built in 1912 with an architecture style inspired by the Italian renaissance period.
Wonder around the museum and the beautiful gardens with a spectacular view over the Ocean
Day 2 Rubell & Superblue
In the morning, plan a visit to the Rubell Museum, 3 miles north of downtown, easily reachable by Metrorail (Santa Clara station)
This is one of the best private contemporary art museums in the world.
With over 7,000 works from 1,000 artists, a repurposed DEA warehouse exhibits contemporary works by known and emerging artists. Some are on display permanently, others are rotated.
You can plan your lunch either at the museum or at the nearby Caja Caliente, a food truck with a shaded area where you can eat Cuban inspired food.
In the afternoon, you have two possibilities:
- visit Superblue, a futuristic museum with digital exhibitions made of lights and mirrors art pieces. A unique experience that will challenge your brain’s view of reality,
- take a train back to downtown and visit either the Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science (for a fun hands-on experience) or the Museum of Art and Design (for a visual art and design experience)
Day 3 Wynwood
There will be a full day of activities in the Wynwood Art District, located 3 miles north of Downtown Miami.
The Wynwood Arts District is one of the world’s biggest and most unique street art installations.
In the morning, take a stroll through the streets and alleyways and stop by the Wynwood Walls.
You can also consider taking this guided walking tour to gain a fuller understanding of the area.
For lunch, head to Joey’s, a cafe that serves typical Italian meals like pizza and pasta, in a modern style.
In this afternoon, have a check at the Museum of Graffiti or the interesting and unique Selfie Museum.
Day 4 Art Deco
Day 4 will be more of a relaxing day that can be swapped with day 5.
In the morning, explore the art déco buildings on Ocean Drive and around South Beach.
Write down on your list:
- the Celino Hotel, built in 1937
- the 1936’s Beacon South Beach Hotel
- the 1935 Colony Hotel
- built in 1942, the Carlyle has been featured in movies like Scarface and Bad Boys II
- as well as the classic Miami Beach U.S. Post Office
you could also join this 2-hour Art Deco Bike Tour with a local guide to explore the area and see both iconic spots as well as hidden gems.
Strawberry Moon‘s restaurant and pool offer a glamorous lunch and afternoon.
Alternatively, take a swim in South Beach after a meal at Havana 1957.
Day 5 (optional) Pérez Museum & Design District
In the morning, visit the Pérez Art Museum in Miami Downtown
Modern and contemporary art is the focus of the Perez Museum, with exhibits that feature artists from around the world from the 20th and 21st centuries.
For lunch, head up to the Design District where you will spend the afternoon.
The historic Moore Building dates back to 1921 and is a great place to begin your exploration.
Next, head to the Institute of Contemporary Art.
A Design District Art Walk is held every second Saturday of the month.
Accommodations and experiences:
- Hotels: Iberostar Berkeley Shore (romantic and in the best location of South Beach with easy access to Miami Downtown), InterContinental Miami (amazing view over Biscayne Bay), SLS Brickell (boutique style, rooms and apartments)
- Best Airbnb: 250 Collins I Sextant (amazing location with outdoor pool)
- Organised experiences:
For a bit of everything
From beaches to sports activities, museums and iconic attractions, this itinerary has a bit of everything.
Day 1 – Skyviews and Bayside Marketplace
If you will start a tour of Miami, you might as well see it from over 200 feet above ground, thanks to the Skyviews Observation Wheel, perfect for a squad of buddies, a couple or families.
Take a ride to the top of Miami in a gondola for up to 45 minutes and enjoy a private view of paradise.
In the afternoon, take your time to visit the nearby Museum of Art and Design or the Van Gogh – The Immersive Experience.
Once finished your visit, take a tour around the Bayside Marketplace to feed your dining and retail therapy desires.
Not only that, you can board a 1.5-Hour Evening Cruise on Biscayne Bay, a memorable way to finish the first day in Miami
Day 2- Day Trip to Key West
If you want to spend a day on an Island a little out of Miami, then book a day trip to Key West.
It is about 160 miles south of Miami, and 100 miles north of Cuba, and you are guaranteed to feel those cultural vibes there.
There is so much to do on your day there.
For example, you can visit the Seaport boardwalk to do some shopping or just sightseeing.
If you are out for some historic adventures, a visit to the Hemingway Home and Museum is ideal for you.
Yes, THE Ernest Hemingway – you can walk where he walked!
More history can be found at the Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park which was built in the 19th Century.
Check out the old cannons and learn about the wars fought there.
Lovers of nature are not left out because you can visit the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory.
You can see various types of butterflies and even flamingoes.
You can read more on my itinerary guide to Key West.
Day 3 – A Day At South Beach
A day at South Beach is just what the doctor ordered. There are a variety of activities to choose from here.
You can start with a bike ride around South and Mid Beach or opt for the fancier scenic flight.
Either way, you will experience Miami like the star you are.
As the day progresses, you can take a stroll along the beach or take in the Miami sun.
End your day right with an unforgettable evening at South Beach with Salsa Lessons & Mojitos.
Dance and drink your night away to the South Beach magic.
Day 4 – A glamour day with the Millionaire’s Row
This will be a time to roam among the Miami elite, thanks to this boat cruise to the Millionaire’s Row of Miami and the Venetian Islands.
During the cruise, you will enjoy the Miami skyline as well as check out the homes of the rich and famous.
Not only that, you will cruise through the beautiful Venetian Islands, Star Island and Sunset Island.
This day trip is sure to dazzle you and your company.
Spend your lunch and afternoon at the Strawberry Moon‘s restaurant and pool. An experience you can have only in Miami.
After seeing how the stars live, it is time to live like one by going clubbing in the iconic Miami clubs.
If you’re looking for some champagne and VIP treatment, there are spots like the Lightkeepers at the Ritz-Carlton Key or E11even Miami.
Day 5 – See Miami In A Unique Way with Segways and Speedboats
Still in Miami? Fantastic!
Get to see this beautiful city with a 45-minute speedboat tour.
You get to cover as much ground as possible while enjoying the water.
Not had enough of Miami?
You can take a 1-hour Segway glide along the beach. Now that is a cool way of getting around while taking in your last day in this magical place.
Miami has so much for you and your family to see.
Accommodations and experiences:
- Best Hotels: Iberostar Berkeley Shore (best location of South Beach with easy access to Miami Downtown), SLS Brickell (boutique style, rooms and apartments)
- Best Airbnb: VHC Apartments (great location, in South Beach and on the way to Downtown), Mint House (in downtown with a pool)
- Organised experiences: